SiouxSports.com Forum

BUZZKILL

GF_siouxfan

Strictness  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are schools to strict with student spectators?

• A little too strict
    • Cheering and Clapping is just fine
    • WAY OUT OF CONTROL
    • students arent there to have fun, athelets are their to compete
    • no clue
    • needs to be more strict, schools are way too loose with kids

School administration is just plain and simple, way out of control they have been taking the fun out of everything from dances to Varsity Athletics

Totally agree. I spent more than my fair share dealing with them when I was still in high school which was 3 years ago and its only getting worse.

Thanks for the example.

OK............back in my day :lol: , we went to games dressed in all sorts of things. The guys would all show up to BB games wearing hunting gear (camo stuff) and wore hard hats with flashing lights, etc on the top of them. They also brought in duck and goose calls and used them throughout the games. Made for a very fun atmosphere. Did lotsa of stuff that I guess cant be done anymore. Too bad, thats what gets everyone fired up.

As long as it isn't hurting anyone. Remember, it's only fun till someone looses an eye. :lol:

• 1 month later...

State Tournament:

Megaphone has been vetoed.

The chant "hey #19, take a seat.....You suck" has been turned into "you stink"

No paint mixers against the cardboard signs.

no fun.

no sieving, i think??

Ill agree with the You suck chant. The students were asking for it when they used it on Todd Olson when he was in attendence at the hockey game. It was overused anyways.

State Tournament:

Megaphone has been vetoed.

The chant "hey #19, take a seat.....You suck" has been turned into "you stink"

No paint mixers against the cardboard signs.

no fun.

no sieving, i think??

Ill agree with the You suck chant. The students were asking for it when they used it on Todd Olson when he was in attendence at the hockey game. It was overused anyways.

If there is no sieving then something is wrong, its a part of the atmosphere of any hockey game, why can't kids just have fun anymore.

If there is no sieving then something is wrong, its a part of the atmosphere of any hockey game, why can't kids just have fun anymore.

Mostly because kids don't know how to have fun. It is a high school hockey game, not college or bigger. Every kid that puts the uniform on needs to be respected at the high school level by all who are in attendance. There is a set of parents in each community that could use the same lesson.

Mostly because kids don't know how to have fun. It is a high school hockey game, not college or bigger. Every kid that puts the uniform on needs to be respected at the high school level by all who are in attendance. There is a set of parents in each community that could use the same lesson.

Should they even allow people to cheer? Wouldn't that make the losing team feel bad? Or should we just quit keeping score? All this PC crap is getting ridiculous...

Should they even allow people to cheer? Wouldn't that make the losing team feel bad? Or should we just quit keeping score? All this PC crap is getting ridiculous...

If "cheering" for your team involves cursing, or using words like "suck", then no....................they shouldn't be allowed to cheer. Also, if that's why kids don't go to games, please. That is a weak, weak reason!!!

If "cheering" for your team involves cursing, or using words like "suck", then no....................they shouldn't be allowed to cheer. Also, if that's why kids don't go to games, please. That is a weak, weak reason!!!

You can't argue that this doesn't play a role. Kids don't want to be told what to do.

Let me guess you're one of those parents that wants to turn the scoreboard off in blow out games?

or

Should players not be allowed to celebrate because it could make some 17 yr old kids feel bad?

You can't argue that this doesn't play a role. Kids don't want to be told what to do.

Let me guess you're one of those parents that wants to turn the scoreboard off in blow out games?

or

Should players not be allowed to celebrate because it could make some 17 yr old kids feel bad?

No, I'm one of those parents who played the game in high school and coached the game for almost 20 years, at the high school as well as the college level, and I can tell you that my players were never allowed to treat their opponents in a disrespectful manner w/out serious consequences. The arguement that kids "don't want to be told what to do" is the stupidest thing read on this sight in a long time. Guess what, they're kids and they'll be told what do for many more years. Hell, I'm 40 something and I still get told what to do by my superiors and cohorts on a daily basis. Let me know the role in life that exists where we are never told what to do. I'd like to meet that person.

I find that the kids should be free to do as they wish, within obvious limitations. Extreme cursing, public disruption (such as running all over the place and making a serious disturbance to those around) and interference with the games themselves should be enforced. If it's not a serious problem, it's making it a bigger problem than it is by addressing it. After reading this thread, I remember and article I was shown at one of the South games from their schools newspaper regarding the subject. Can't remember where I put the article, if anyone else can find it, but I found it intriguing.

No, I'm one of those parents who played the game in high school and coached the game for almost 20 years, at the high school as well as the college level, and I can tell you that my players were never allowed to treat their opponents in a disrespectful manner w/out serious consequences. The arguement that kids "don't want to be told what to do" is the stupidest thing read on this sight in a long time. Guess what, they're kids and they'll be told what do for many more years. Hell, I'm 40 something and I still get told what to do by my superiors and cohorts on a daily basis. Let me know the role in life that exists where we are never told what to do. I'd like to meet that person.

The point was, that kids do not want to be told what to do. They will not be "kids" for many more years as when they turn 18 they will be a legal adult. At some point in time during that change to adulthood, the kids mature into adults and realize that they are going to have to listen to their superiors at their job or wherever they take their careers. For some kids, this may come before they turn 18. However, that's not really important.

Hockey is a fast paced game that is filled emotion, and spur of the moment decisions. Players are going to celebrate, and not everyone is going to be pleased with the celebration all the time. As far as I'm concerned, unless the player makes a habit of overzelous celebrations, I'm not about to hand out "serious consequences" for one instance in which his or her emotions may have ran too high.

Just a reminder this topic is mainly me complaing about not being able to:

Take out the keys at the end of a basketball, volleyball game.

Not being able to dress like pimps and hoes.

Not being able to be a kid.

This topic wasnt created in the intrest of hockey. Other than the megaphone i think they should let us have that back. And hey if someone wants to do a you suck chant out of that.. kick the person out. I still wouldve like to use it to tell one of those RR hockey players they look good in Breezers......waltsies...