SiouxSports.com Forum

Chicago Blackhawks Fan Salute

mikeypat15

I was at the Blackhawks/Oilers game the other night (some of you know I am a diehard Hawks fan). It was an incredibly good game, and I believe it was one of the first sellouts in quite a while for the Blackhawks.

After the game, as the fans were filing out, the entire team poured back onto the ice. Half the team was already undressed, as some were putting their jerseys back on as they came back out. They saluted and applauded the crowd and threw sticks out into the crowd.

Has anyone seen this before, especially midseason? Apparently, the idea was thought up by Martin Lapointe, and Adam Burish (Wisconsin). Fans and the media have ate it up, making a good name for a great franchise.

Below is a clip of the end of the salute.

Blackhawks Salute Fans

Also a fun note, my family has had season tickets for close to 15 plus years, and Sunday night was the first time I have seen another Sioux jersey in the stands, and it was directly infront of me, it was a family from the Grand Forks area who had driven down for the holidays and were sporting there jerseys.

Sioux fans travel well, I'll have some close up Toews pictures coming in the days ahead as I was on the glass for warmups, looks like he has put on a good amount of muscle.

Merry Christmas!!

That's nothing but OUTSTANDING for hockey. More teams should do this. See it all the time in college hockey, but not at the pro level, and many fans are lifelong season ticket holders. Players should show their gratitude for their support through the good and bad times. Thanks for sharing!

My son and I were at the game as well. There were 2 people one section to our righy wearing Sioux jersy's. My son had a green North Dakota hoodie on. It was a very entertaining game. Very quick up and down, obstrction was a non issue. Shapard and Bruce M you ought to go to an NHL game and take note.... I love the college game but the grabbing and hoilding is rediculous.

I'm a fairly new Hawks fan since I recently moved to Chi-town. It seems that the team truly appreciates the fan presence that is gradually building now that they are adequately marketing the team. I expect great things in the future, especially with the new marketing director. Hopefully he can turn the city in the team's favor. The only downside...ticket prices will increase. :glare:

My son and I were at the game as well. There were 2 people one section to our righy wearing Sioux jersy's. My son had a green North Dakota hoodie on. It was a very entertaining game. Very quick up and down, obstrction was a non issue. Shapard and Bruce M you ought to go to an NHL game and take note.... I love the college game but the grabbing and hoilding is rediculous.

You had to be not far from me, I was in 221

Lake Superior State and (to my knowledge, anyways) Boston College do a stick salute to the fans after EVERY home game, win or lose. I've always thought that that was a great tradition. No matter what the game result is, the players acknowledge the fans for their support.

Toews must be stealing traditions now. I just got home from the Blackhawks/Predators game at the UC, and after the win the Blackhawks pulled out the trademark stick salute given to the fans in college hockey. Something tells me a young captain of that team may have helped with the idea.

Blackhawks Stick Salute

Also a funny side note. I wore my Sioux jersey tonight to the Blackhawks game and got a ton of mixed reactions, A lot of Go Siouxs, and some Go Badgers, but nothing like during warmups. I was on the glass, and I flashed the Sioux jersey at Adam Burish, his reaction was a simple stick out the tongue and act sick, a classic from a former Badger. As for Toews, I know he saw me in the jersey as I pounded obnoxiously on the glass every time he passed, but he simply put his head down (in my mind to hide a big smile).

I'll put some great pictures up soon.

Has anyone seen this before, especially midseason? Apparently, the idea was thought up by Martin Lapointe, and Adam Burish (Wisconsin). Fans and the media have ate it up, making a good name for a great franchise.

The NY Rangers have been doing a stick salute at Center Ice after every home win since the lock-out. In addition, each Ranger named as a three-star selection tosses a puck into the crowd.

I've also seen the San Jose Sharks do something similar with their three-star selection. Each Shark named as a three-star selection huddles in the tunnel, autographs a hockey stick and tosses it into the crowd.

It's good to see that these acknowledgements to the crowds/fans is becoming more and more prevalent.

Toews must be stealing traditions now. I just got home from the Blackhawks/Predators game at the UC, and after the win the Blackhawks pulled out the trademark stick salute given to the fans in college hockey. Something tells me a young captain of that team may have helped with the idea.

Blackhawks Stick Salute

Also a funny side note. I wore my Sioux jersey tonight to the Blackhawks game and got a ton of mixed reactions, A lot of Go Siouxs, and some Go Badgers, but nothing like during warmups. I was on the glass, and I flashed the Sioux jersey at Adam Burish, his reaction was a simple stick out the tongue and act sick, a classic from a former Badger. As for Toews, I know he saw me in the jersey as I pounded obnoxiously on the glass every time he passed, but he simply put his head down (in my mind to hide a big smile).

I'll put some great pictures up soon.

Could have been Burish behind the salute too. Classic move by him though during warm-ups. Have to love that WCHA rivals stay strong even after the players move on to the pros. I would have loved to see that.

If your jersey was white, it might have been you I saw on TV really quick.

Sure was I got my pictures uploaded today and cleaning them up, and found a Sioux fan in a green jersey on the opposite side. Young kid. When did you see me on TV?

On a side note....I was in a 7-11 in Revelstoke, BC, Canada today and someone had a Sioux hat on....couldn't believe it! Of course, he was a buddy of Kosek's dad, but still loved the Sioux. Told me Kosek had given him some t-shirts and sticks to raffle at his daughter's minor hockey tourney and it gave them a ton of $$.

Good on the Sioux!!!!

Sure was I got my pictures uploaded today and cleaning them up, and found a Sioux fan in a green jersey on the opposite side. Young kid. When did you see me on TV?

I'm not sure when it was for sure. I have the Center Ice package, so I'm watching games every night. They turn into a blur sometimes. Was it at the game that Toews scored the 2nd goal and had an assist on the 1st? Against Nashville? Cant remember for sure. :glare:

I'm not sure when it was for sure. I have the Center Ice package, so I'm watching games every night. They turn into a blur sometimes. Was it at the game that Toews scored the 2nd goal and had an assist on the 1st? Against Nashville? Cant remember for sure. :glare:

Yeah that was it. Did you see it during the game, or a clip of warmups?