SiouxSports.com Forum

medical hardships

UND92,96

Does anybody know for certain whether the medical hardships previously granted to Brady Trenbeath and Mitch Braegelmann are still valid in division I? I know the NCAA is far more stringent about granting such hardships at the dI level, but on the other hand, can they really take something back that's already been granted? :cool:

I know the NCAA is far more stringent about granting such hardships at the dI level, but on the other hand, can they really take something back that's already been granted? :lol:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't put anything past the NCAA. :cool:

It would be a significant blow to UND football to lose a year of Trenbeath.

I doubt that this transition will have any effect on their respective eligibility.

I don't remember the details, but NDSU OL Justin Monson lost a year of eligibility because of the transition, and SDSU had an OL that lost a year and ended up transferring to play for you guys; can't remember his name. Like I said, I don't know the details of those two cases but I would actually be surprised if Trenbreath did not lose his last year.

• 2 weeks later...
While I am concerned about Trenbeath's situation, he has at least one more year of eligibility regardless. Braegelmann, on the other hand, would presumably be done if his previously granted medical hardship doesn't transfer from dII to dI.

Assuming next year would've been Braegelmann's last year anyway(I don't know the particulars of the situation), he should be fine. Reclassification rules allow some leeway for players who are finishing up during the second of five years(2008-09 for UND). As long as he enrolled at UND prior to June 1, 2006, he will finish under DII eligibility rules. This doesn't appear to apply to players with more than one year of DII eligibility remaining.

20.5 CHANGE OF DIVISION MEMBERSHIP

20.5.2 Requesting Reclassification

20.5.2.2 Compliance with Criteria.

20.5.2.2.2 First Year(2008-09 for UND). During the first year of reclassification, an institution must satisfy the following requirements:

( c ) Apply all Division I legislation except scheduling requirements and continuing eligibility requirements (e.g., progress-toward-degree, five-year rule) for student-athletes who are completing their final season of competition and were enrolled at the institution at least one year prior to the institution