SiouxSports.com Forum

Neck Guards

What do you guys think about neck guards? I know they have to be used in Canada, but not in the USA. A kid on Minot's JV team recently took a skate to the neck and it cut him badly. He is fine. But I am considering getting one. What do you guys think of them and do you have any recommendations for good neck guards? Thanks.

The East Grand Forks Pee Wee A has a defenseman that got a skate in the neck on 9 Dec, bad cut, JUST missed being very tragic. He returned to the ice on 17 Dec, he and almost the entire team voluntarily are now wearing neck protectors and the players said it only took a practice or two to get used to them.

It is coming, USA Hockey is studying this very closely and it will be impletemented. We owe it to our kids to get them the best protection we can and this should be required equipment right along with helmets, gloves, ect. If we start now voluntarily, it won't be a big deal when it is mandated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mandatory youth neck guards

The Grand Forks Park District will require all youth hockey players to wear neck guards starting next season. Superintendent Bill Palmascino says each player will be issued a guard prior to league play. The cost will be included in the annual registration fees. There are approximately 600 youth players participating in the various in-house hockey leagues

Copied off Knox website.

The neck guards might offer good protection or they might not. Some critics say they might even increase the risk of injury by directing the skate blade upward to a more vulnerable area of the neck.

Stuart and USA Hockey sent 417,000 surveys to USA Hockey participants, the Star Tribune reported.

neck guards will be good for the kids and i for one am happy to see it....but the directing the skate blade....this is gonna sound insensitive, but if that were actually to happen....the injury was destined to happen and all you can do is hope it's not serious and the kid comes out alright....you cna't protect everyone from everything......but this is definitely a step in the righ direction...i would think most neck/throat injuries are of the puck and stick variety, and very very rarely is it the blade of a skate..

You are right that it's a step in the right direction. I know that you can't protect them from everything, but as parent you should do what is needed to try and keep them safe. There isn't any balking about helmets and shin pads, etc. This is just another piece of equipment to put on to prepare for a game.