SiouxSports.com Forum

Advice for gopher fan coming to gf

dagies

I just called the ticket office and verified that no tickets are available for the series.  I assume there will be "Trimmers" (can't say "Scalpers"--not politically correct) with tix outside the arena, looking to sell to the highest bidder.  

As for best sports bars, hmmm.  The places I used to go to closed down: The Fabulous Westward Ho, Players.  If your friends want bars instead of restaurants that serve liquor, DownUNDer and Dagwoods (your smoke-free alternative) are still here.  Not sure which ones run buses to the game.

There is an ad in the Forum today for tickets if you are interested.  Also saw one on Ebay.

There is a bus from the Holiday Inn that takes you to the front of the arena and picks you up there also.  Plus you get a free drink ticket for riding the bus.  We have used this service all year and it is a great way to avoid the parking headaches.

If by rush seating you mean you can sit where you want, there is rush seating  in the student section.  All other tickets are seat-specific.  Students start lining up about noon and are let in at 5.  Puck drops at 7:35.  If by rush seating you mean, walk-up tickets, I don't think so.  If there were, the ticket

office would have offered those for sale this morning, I'd think.

At Mariucci and some other venues they will sell tickets at the 10 minute mark of the first period in order to fill seats that have not been taken.

My guess is they are able to count the number of people who entered, (turnstiles?) and then they sell up to however many left over seats there may be.

That won't happen at this series with the current administration in there and they know who they are...it isn't like the good ole days for seating...the current administration seems like they could care a less if they fill seats whereas before, they use to scan the crowd and say...we got seats...let's fill them!

no kidding?  What is up with that?  That seems to make little sense to me.

But so does minimal coverage by the GF Herald.

Is there something smelly about the administration (as you say) and the Herald "ignoring" the hockey team?  Or maybe better said, "not marketing" the hockey team?

Or am I adding 2 and 3 and getting 4 here?

The problem is the administration has gotten away with it ever since Jerry Cavitt (sp) left.  He was the best organizer for all the Sioux events.  Now, the person in charge seems to be more concerned about "heavy hitters" than anything else.  We have always been able to get tickets to any of the away games, but now that no longer holds true.  His attitude is the worst I have ever seen and I know he doesn't care what people think.  Frankly, I am very surprised he is still with the organization, because some of the other administration I have talked to just shake their heads.  

As far as the Herald, I think they have lost alot of people in the last year and they are really hurting.  I know Virg Foss use to travel with the hockey team all the time, but it seems lately there hasn't been much coverage from the away games.  I think the Forum has done a great job of coverage for the Sioux this year.  There is a really nice article today in the Forum about Tim Skarperud.

http://new.in-forum.com/articles/?id=5053

Actually, I think media coverage for this series is pretty sparse in MSP too, no real interest in the Red Star or the Pioneer Pravda.  The GF Hurl'd is still worthless and it takes forever to navigate their site, although it is a vast improvement over the last build.  

With regard to tickets, it would make sense to fill the seats whenever, however, possible if they want that place to make money.  But then again, I don't run that show ... yet.  :)