SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Teleconference Items

AZSIOUX

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

3rd topic down in blog

interesting topics from brad

For the second straight year, the hot topic on the call seemed to be early departures. Basically, it was the same sentiments echoed last season, so nothing new there. The most interesting quote about it came from commish Bruce McLeod, who said there are talks between the NHL and the college commissioners about it.

"Early signings are really becoming a concern," McLeod said. "We've had a number of conversations with the NHL and Bill Daly (deputy commissioner of NHL). The commissioners are gathering a lot of detail about the number of signings and where they are ending up. We're still deciding what happened. It's not all the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Some things have changed in the American League, too. It's becoming a younger, more developmental league. It's not just one thing causing this phenomenon. The commissioners wrote a letter to Gary Bettman about our concerns."

In discussing the CHA's situation, I have to agree with Don Lucia's take. It would be very nice if some Atlantic Hockey teams volunteered to join the CHA, but my guess is that none of them will.

Another topic of interest was whether the WCHA should expand to help the fledgling CHA. Most of the coaches said they have strong interest in making sure college hockey doesn't lose more teams, but they were quick to add that they don't know all of the details of the business side of things. Minnesota coach Don Lucia brought up the possibility of Atlantic Hockey teams moving to the CHA. He also raised the concern about rivals playing in each other's buildings fewer times with an expanded WCHA and he said he thinks it's important to have that sixth league

In discussing the CHA's situation, I have to agree with Don Lucia's take. It would be very nice if some Atlantic Hockey teams volunteered to join the CHA, but my guess is that none of them will.

yeah, i dont see that happening but college hockey needs to realize they cant lose anymore teams. theres only what 60 or so to begin with?? the cha teams need to find homes hopefully as that conference seems to be done

the ccha could lose a couple too. it would be nice to see UAA go to the ccha, have BSU come to the wcha...then have the ccha lose 1 or 3 teams to the CHA(probably 3, bringing CHA to 6), and Atlantic lose 2(bringing CHA to 8 teams.)

the ccha could lose a couple too. it would be nice to see UAA go to the ccha, have BSU come to the wcha...then have the ccha lose 1 or 3 teams to the CHA(probably 3, bringing CHA to 6), and Atlantic lose 2(bringing CHA to 8 teams.)

Sounds good to me. Why don't we call them and tell them we have the solution! :glare:

I agree that the loss of rivaly games is bad. I think it would make college hockey LESS interesting, since the big time games are the ones that generate fans. If it takes losing a team or two that no one cares about to keep the interest of the game high, I'm all for it. Just my 2 pennies.

That wouldn't pass in 100 years.

True enough a UAA-UAF rivalry would be nice to have... oh wait, they already have it. But no other CCHA teams would approve two trips out to Alaska. Travel expenses are bad enough with UAF alone in the CCHA.

I'm not in favor of it because the trophy leaves with them, but the most logical fit to the CCHA is MTU. THat would place all Michigan-based teams (unless I'm missing a few in the CHA or AHA) in the CCHA. And goodbye McNaughton Cup.

But anyways, no one would approve UAA moving to the CCHA based upon financial and time constraints

That wouldn't pass in 100 years.

True enough a UAA-UAF rivalry would be nice to have... oh wait, they already have it. But no other CCHA teams would approve two trips out to Alaska. Travel expenses are bad enough with UAF alone in the CCHA.

I'm not in favor of it because the trophy leaves with them, but the most logical fit to the CCHA is MTU. THat would place all Michigan-based teams (unless I'm missing a few in the CHA or AHA) in the CCHA. And goodbye McNaughton Cup.

But anyways, no one would approve UAA moving to the CCHA based upon financial and time constraints

well maybe we could work something out with Russia taking UAA. its only walking distance. :huh:

Sounds good to me. Why don't we call them and tell them we have the solution! :huh:

I think the solution is going to be that if someone does take these team or come up with a solution the NCAA is going to say back to 12 teams for the NCAA championship. I don't think anyone wants to lose NCAA slots. If push came to shove the NCAA could bend on the number of games allowed during the season.

I think the solution is going to be that if someone does take these team or come up with a solution the NCAA is going to say back to 12 teams for the NCAA championship. I don't think anyone wants to lose NCAA slots. If push came to shove the NCAA could bend on the number of games allowed during the season.

i think somebody will take these teams. i really dont see going to 12. i agree with dave starman, who believes that you need the bigger schools in the playoffs always. the big 10's and bu und etc.