SiouxSports.com Forum

D2Football NCC Column

Sioux27

Not saying he's not objective (I happen to think UND is a pretty good pick), but d2football's new NCC columnist is another UND grad.

From d2football.com Staff

Covering the NCC in its final year is Rod Votava.

Votava is a Warren, Minnesota native and a graduate of the University of North Dakota ('94). He has been in the financial services industry for the last 15 years.

Rod grew up watching the Fighting Sioux as a kid and it has been a passion of his even since. During his college years this evolved into a real interest in the NCC and its members. The part of the job that I enjoy most is visiting with the coaches and listening to what makes them tick. "It will be tough to see the North Central Conference end after 88 years of existence."

During his free time he enjoys golfing, hunting, fishing, and getting ready for the next football season.

Rod and his wife Erin reside in Dalton, MN. along with their two boys, Sawyer and Avery.

I'll believe GVSU won't be in the NW Region Final when GVSU isn't in the NW Region Final.

I think home field advantage is the key. GV's stadium is a very hard place to play with the wind. If they get to play at home during the playoffs, they will be tough to beat. This year. however, they change quarterbacks. All it takes is 1 or 2 losses in the reg season and they don't get homefield for the playoffs. If they come to USD or the Alerus, I don't think they will win.

I think home field advantage is the key. GV's stadium is a very hard place to play with the wind. If they get to play at home during the playoffs, they will be tough to beat. This year. however, they change quarterbacks. All it takes is 1 or 2 losses in the reg season and they don't get homefield for the playoffs. If they come to USD or the Alerus, I don't think they will win.

You're dead on with home field being the key. But you list the wind first? I'd say it's more like the 4 national championships, 6 straight years opening the season at #1, a senior class that has gone 38-3 with a 12-1 playoff record, and 2 straight titles the program brings to that home field that is more troublesome. Wind or no wind, it's a tall order to win there.

You're dead on with home field being the key. But you list the wind first? I'd say it's more like the 4 national championships, 6 straight years opening the season at #1, a senior class that has gone 38-3 with a 12-1 playoff record, and 2 straight titles the program brings to that home field that is more troublesome. Wind or no wind, it's a tall order to win there.

Yeah I would list the wind first. All that other stuff is fine and dandy, but it doesn't win games. Sure the players know how to win and the fans want to watch a victory. It doesn't affect the team, IMO. Home field advantage is about noise, environment, and other factors. UND has the turf and noise, and GV has the wind. I would be the bank they would have lost last year if it was played in the Al.