SiouxSports.com Forum

Kozek & Kaip at Camp

WiSioux

While coverage seems to be limited as to what actually happened at camp, or at least I can't find it as easily as I can the Blues information it seems that Thrasher fans are worried about the consistancy of Kozek and Kaip. However, in the final scrimmage (I believe), Kozek got a hat trick to help his team win the game.

Thrashers Prospect Camp Wrap Up

Over at Baseball Prospectus they use the term "wish-casting" which means roughly "projecting something that you can't reasonable forecast based on the available data." In the real world there is a certain amount of wishcasting that goes on with prospects who can not reasonable be forecast to make the NHL. Why bring this up? Because the next group of forwards requires a bit of wish casting in my opinion in order to see them as regular NHL players in the future. My wishcast group includes Andrew Kozek, Tomas Pospisil, Chad Painchaud, Guillaume Desbiens and Myles Stoesz. Kozek and Pospisil require the least amount of wish casting but both players have talent but need to become much more consistent to have a shot.

Moving from the category of "wish casting" to "very unlikely" we come to final group of forwards. Mikka Tuomainen has great size but simply lacks NHL speed. Mike Hamilton did almost nothing to be noticed all week. Rylan Kaip is defensive minded player who lacks NHL puck handling ability and Joey Crabb can do a lot of things but his skills aren't NHL caliber.

I'll see if I can find anymore information on the message boards...

Here is a recap of Thur's scrimmage from "gladthraser" over on the Thrasher message board

Thursday's scrimmage was very good with frequent checking & lots of goals. In the 1st period the Red Team scored first on a goal by LW Jordan LaVallee, who has looked very good this week. The Blue Team responded with a goal by RW Andrew Kozek, an impressive college prospect from North Dakota. The Red Team took the lead on a goal by LW Tomas Pospisil. The 1st period had Ondrej Pavelec in goal for the Red Team & he has looked really outstanding this week & also during the period. Dan Turple was in the nets for the Blue Team & he looked good today making several good saves. The second and final period had Chris Kamal in goal for the Red Team & Andrew Perugini (Italian Stallion) in goal for the Blue Team. The Blue Team's Andrew Kozek scored 2 goals back to back to give Blue a 3-2 lead, only to have RW/C Colton Fretter (Gwinnett's Goal Getter!) tie the contest at 3-3. Then finally a good sign of the near future at Blueland happened, C Bryan Little gave the Blue Team the lead again at 4-3. Late in the game/scrimmage LW Brett Sterling scored into the empty net to give the Blue Team a hard fought 5-3 victory. But since the Red Team won Monday's scrimmage 4-1, the series was tied at 1 game each, they held a shootout (The dreaded shootout!) to decide the prospect camp victor. Here are the results of the shootout:

Red : LW Derek Whitmore- SAVE Perugini

Blue : C Bryan Little- SAVE Kamal

Red : LW Jordan LaVallee- GOAL!

Blue : LW Chad Painchaud- SAVE Kamal

Red : LW Tomas Pospisil- GOAL!!

Blue : LW Brett Sterling- SAVE Kamal

Red : RW Colton Fretter- SAVE Perugini

Blue : RW Andrew Kozek- Save Kamal

RED TEAM WINS Shootout 2-0!!

i would be worried about kozek as well if i was a thrasher fan and also worried regarding forney and his injuries, this is kozeks year to shine, if he gets the chance he needs to run with it. he can hit out on the ice, now we need to see the offensive talent that landed him to UND!! kaip was a low risk player to draft very late, he most likely will be a AHL player hopefully, he is what he is, a grind out player thats tough as nails.

i would be worried about kozek as well if i was a thrasher fan and also worried regarding forney and his injuries, this is kozeks year to shine, if he gets the chance he needs to run with it. he can hit out on the ice, now we need to see the offensive talent that landed him to UND!! kaip was a low risk player to draft very late, he most likely will be a AHL player hopefully, he is what he is, a grind out player thats tough as nails.

Exactly. Thrashers organization know he hasn't become the player they had hoped he would by this time in his career. This is Kozek's make it/break it year. If he shines, he still has a chance with the club. If he continues to do what he's done the past two years, they'll release his rights. I really hope he turns it on this year. I had high hopes for him last year (as I'm sure everyone did), and was really disappointed with the season he had. I've heard from the media and other posters that the kid can really play, but I'm just hoping we see it for one year.

Listed in the top prospects are Kozek at 19 and Forney at 15. Kaip is listed in the 'other notables.' Don't know if this list is from before the camp or after.

I have faith that these guys are going to have a stellar year and be instrumental in getting us #8!