SiouxSports.com Forum

Thirteen Upperclassmen

OETKB

Here is something to chew on in the offseason - UND will likely have 13 upperclassmen in the regular (20 man) roster next season. I can't remember the last time that happened.

For example, the "senior laden" team of 2004-05 had as many as 8 seniors playing on a given night, but had only 11 upperclassmen on the team. By contrast, last season UND played with 6 upperclassmen in most games.

It has been a long time coming for UND, with so many early departures of late. Does anyone remember a team with more starting players in their junior & senior years?

Here is something to chew on in the offseason - UND will likely have 13 upperclassmen in the regular (20 man) roster next season. I can't remember the last time that happened.

For example, the "senior laden" team of 2004-05 had as many as 8 seniors playing on a given night, but had only 11 upperclassmen on the team. By contrast, last season UND played with 6 upperclassmen in most games.

It has been a long time coming for UND, with so many early departures of late. Does anyone remember a team with more starting players in their junior & senior years?

I've followed the team since the early 90s and I can't remember it happening. Maybe 1997? I know the 2000 team had 9 or 10 contributing upperclassmen and that turned out well.

The one I remember is '98-'99... big senior class, along with several notable juniors. (Trying to go off of memery, so apologies if i missed any or got years wrong):

Seniors:

Blake

Panzer

Hoogsteen

Ulmer

Bull

Calder

Williamson

Philion (although not an every game guy)

Juniors:

Goren

Ulmer

Defauw

Armbrust

O'connell

The one I remember is '98-'99... big senior class, along with several notable juniors. (Trying to go off of memery, so apologies if i missed any or got years wrong):

Seniors:

Blake

Panzer

Hoogsteen

Ulmer

Bull

Calder

Williamson

Philion (although not an every game guy)

Juniors:

Goren

Ulmer

Defauw

Armbrust

O'connell

I've been a fan for a long, long time. But, I've been tracking the teams on spreadsheet since '99. The team with the closest number of juniors & seniors was 2003-04, when they had 11 upperclassmen playing regularly.

That year, they won 30 games. Of course, they also flopped against DU in the quarter finals.

But I still have not seen a team that dressed 13. This may be UND's year. I certainly hope so.

I've been a fan for a long, long time. But, I've been tracking the teams on spreadsheet since '99. The team with the closest number of juniors & seniors was 2003-04, when they had 11 upperclassmen playing regularly.

That year, they won 30 games. Of course, they also flopped against DU in the quarter finals.

But I still have not seen a team that dressed 13. This may be UND's year. I certainly hope so.

I am still haunted by the Prpich open nets in that game.

It could have been 14, damn! Even without JT, this team will be poised to do well. I have a feeling that there may be some regrets on his part when the Sioux win #8 this year. Let's hope that upperclassmen number doesn't drop to 12 if Lee decides to bolt.

JT did the best thing for him. he will have no regrets but of course will miss playing in g forks.

I didn't say he didn't do what was best for him, because he did. I've said all along he was ready and will be an NHL star in a short time, and I hope for him to do well. That doesn't mean there won't be some regrets. When the Hawks are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs 2/3 through the season and the Sioux are making another strong postseason run, he may think, if even for a fleeting moment, I'm only 19, what was the rush...

I didn't say he didn't do what was best for him, because he did. I've said all along he was ready and will be an NHL star in a short time, and I hope for him to do well. That doesn't mean there won't be some regrets. When the Hawks are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs 2/3 through the season and the Sioux are making another strong postseason run, he may think, if even for a fleeting moment, I'm only 19, what was the rush...

yeah i here you, the sooner JT gets into the NHL the sooner he can become a free agent as well, just the other side. of course he will be bummed when if we win #8, i get that for sure.

Maybe so, but it's hardly Toews' fault that the Hawks ownership are a bunch of losers/idiots and the Hawks are the proud doormats of the teams that are considered "the original six." I don't think even the Rangers have had it as bad as the Hawks in recent history. And until Montreal proves completely incapable of winning their 26th Stanley Cup, I can't buy their recent decline as anything more than some sort of temporary downtime.

It could have been 14, damn! Even without JT, this team will be poised to do well. I have a feeling that there may be some regrets on his part when the Sioux win #8 this year. Let's hope that upperclassmen number doesn't drop to 12 if Lee decides to bolt.

I did not even include Lee in the total! I just realized that my count of 13 assumed that Lee will be gone. If he comes back, the number will be 14 upperclassmen (not counting Walski, who I assume will not see much playing time):

Duncan

Kozek

Radke

Watkins

Miller

Kaip

Oshie

Martens

Lamoureaux

Jones

Chorney

Finley

Bina

Lee

Go Sioux! This is your year - make it happen.