SiouxSports.com Forum

Since Toews is gone Duncan is going to have a rough season

Goon

Again, you guys are missing it.

Actually, I think you're missing it with your straw-man argument.

People "down south" aren't saying that Duncan is now "eliminated from the picture." They are saying that despite the fact Duncan won the Hobey Baker, Toews was the better play.

Over time, Toews will most likely prove to be the better all-around player, but he didn't have a better season than Duncan, and that's what the Hobey is about. Had Toews not missed most of four games with an injury, had he not played injured most of the first half of the season, had he not missed six games at the World Junior Championships and had he not been caught in Judy's Tavern, he might have won the Hobey. But he didn't because Duncan stayed healthy, kept his nose clean and had an outstanding season.

While Toews was gone for various reasons and both he and Oshie were playing injured, Duncan was the guy who continued to put up points and was the glue that helped hold the team together. Even Toews admitted that it was Duncan's poise, maturity and experience that kept the DOT line going when he and Oshie were struggling.

You have to put "better player" in context of accomplishments and results, not just potential.

Actually, I think you're missing it with your straw-man argument.

Over time, Toews will most likely prove to be the better all-around player, but he didn't have a better season than Duncan, and that's what the Hobey is about. Had Toews not missed most of four games with an injury, had he not played injured most of the first half of the season, had he not missed six games at the World Junior Championships and had he not been caught in Judy's Tavern, he might have won the Hobey. But he didn't because Duncan stayed healthy, kept his nose clean and had an outstanding season.

While Toews was gone for various reasons and both he and Oshie were playing injured, Duncan was the guy who continued to put up points and was the glue that helped hold the team together. Even Toews admitted that it was Duncan's poise, maturity and experience that kept the DOT line going when he and Oshie were struggling.

You have to put "better player" in context of accomplishments and results, not just potential.

Thanks PCM. That's what I was trying (and failing) to say in my first response to Cardinal.

Again, you guys are missing it. People "down south" aren't saying that Duncan is now "eliminated from the picture." They are saying that despite the fact Duncan won the Hobey Baker, Toews was the better player. In my initial post, I asked if any Sioux fans didn't agree with this, and so far no one has objected. This is a perfect example of the halo syndrome. Nobody is slighting UND here.

In this case, I posted becasue this thread is trying to prove a point that is 99.9 percent false, and if nobody mentions the facts, people will pile on a premise that isn't true.

Stick your halo where you're sticking your head. Don't care what you and others are saying on GPL; haven't looked, don't intend to.

Care to clarify? You think it's "dumb" that he left for selfish reasons and you wanted him to stay, or you think it's "dumb" that he left because he won't fit in with the Blackhawks and the NHL and you think he needed 1 more year to develop and UND?

There was nothing selfish about Johnny's decision to leave. He's ready!! As for Duncs...he's a sniper. The kid doesn't miss his spots. Did he benefit from Johnny and TJ, sure he did. However, he didn't miss when given the opportunity. I think Vande steps in and holds his own on that line. He obviously won't do the things Johnny did, but I think Vandy is going to be a great player for the Sioux.

There was nothing selfish about Johnny's decision to leave. He's ready!! As for Duncs...he's a sniper. The kid doesn't miss his spots. Did he benefit from Johnny and TJ, sure he did. However, he didn't miss when given the opportunity. I think Vande steps in and holds his own on that line. He obviously won't do the things Johnny did, but I think Vandy is going to be a great player for the Sioux.

are you f'n kidding me, you think its dumb that toews left? wow, he is beyond nhl ready if you havent noticed..no need to carry on...unbelievable statement, one for the books!!

oh yeah, duncan will be just fine, he will share this year as oshie will win hobey 08 with #8 as well!

Wow, Duncan can be amazing without Johnny. I kinda think that it is dumb that Towes left. but whatever floats his boat i guess. :D

Let's see if we can put this into perspective for you. Based on your posts to date your passion appears to be chasing jockstraps, and perhaps you are very talented at it and ready to move on to the pros. If I were to offer you an incentive laden contract that could earn you several million dollars a year to leave school and pursue that passion professionally would you turn it down? Hint, turning it down would be dumb!