SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

this is the new ego driven way of top college prospects. Jimmy wanted to get to the NHL, and sign a big contract. He needs to be the star of his team, get all of the minutes, and he wasn't going to be at Minnesota. Denver had 2 second round picks do it in the last year, and we are going to see it again and again in college. These type of players demand ice time, and will go wherever they can get it. In their own minds, they can't afford a year or two of college seasoning before they get to be the leaders on a team. so, should a coach give them ice time, when they don't deserve it? college coaches don't owe it to players, unlike mj coaches do.

As to how it effects a team like Minnesota, I expect that only the true insiders really know. Lucia surely knew he wanted to leave the minute he was recruited, and Jimmy may not have been getting that much scholarship money. after all, no one really though he would stay around very long, anyway.

unfortunately, the NHL is going to need a ton of young guys to fill cheap roster spots, because once 4 or 5 players take the lion's share of the salary cap, all that's left is enough money for a few role players, and kids on rookie contact's. some teams are going to always have to have 5 or 6 (or more) players on rookie salaries to counter the big boys salaries, and it is obvious that to do that, they are going to have to ramp up the signings of college kids.

I assume the odds of seeing a first round draft pick staying 4 years on any WCHA team is basically zero. I now hope that no one from my team gets drafted that high, it just seems to cause a lot of problems, more so than the year or two they are willing to put in is worth.

I feel dirty for saying this but I agree 100% with Happy :sad:

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good gravy, redwing is aiming to take over for PCM as the designated old curmudgeon here. What a grouch.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. . . . . . They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. . . . . . Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.