SiouxSports.com Forum

DL Hockey

Stromer

Congrats to the DL hockey team for their great season. 3rd place in the state is nothing to scoff at. They played a good tourney, beating a Grafton team that they came close to beating twice during the season, and giving a solid effort against RR. Groves really had a coming out party and showed he is solid. Anyways, it was a pretty good season by a team who people doubted because they played in the west last year. Hopefully it won't be another 26-27 years before they make it to the semifinals again. :D

Congratulations Devils Lake High School Hockey! 3rd place in state, way cool!

Gotta love the technology we have available now, to be able to listen to the North Dakota State High School hockey games over the internet (when before I wouldn't have even known they were taking place)! Now if only I could watch a video feed of the high school hockey games (ahh, some day)!

Did anyone record the 3rd place game? I presume it was televised? I would be interested in a copy if anyone did, please PM me.

Also wondering if perhaps there will be some sort of memorabilia to celebrate the occasion, a team poster with the 3rd place trophy? Post here if anybody heres of such a thing, I would love to have that for my hockey collection!

I have been reading with interest the return of Al Henry as coach as well. Back in my high school days he was the coach, I didn't realize he had left and came back again!

Congratulations Devils Lake High School Hockey! 3rd place in state, way cool!

Gotta love the technology we have available now, to be able to listen to the North Dakota State High School hockey games over the internet (when before I wouldn't have even known they were taking place)! Now if only I could watch a video feed of the high school hockey games (ahh, some day)!

Did anyone record the 3rd place game? I presume it was televised? I would be interested in a copy if anyone did, please PM me.

Also wondering if perhaps there will be some sort of memorabilia to celebrate the occasion, a team poster with the 3rd place trophy? Post here if anybody heres of such a thing, I would love to have that for my hockey collection!

I have been reading with interest the return of Al Henry as coach as well. Back in my high school days he was the coach, I didn't realize he had left and came back again!

Hockeynut...I sent you a pm.

I'll post if I find anything to do with this years tournament.

The thing I was the most impressed with with Devils Lake was the class they showed after they scored a goal. They'd have like a one second little group hug and skate back to their positions. A couple of times they didn't really even celebrate. After they won their first round game over Bismarck they really didn't even celebrate. Groves skated right out to the red line and they shook hands right away.

I think a lot of that reflects on the type of coach that Henry is, not accepting showboats and what not. It was great watching a team work that hard, and have some success.

Congrats Satans....err...Firebirds! :lol:

Good work DL! Minot has historically beaten up on DL but this year was different. I still think that the best option is to make a North/South division rather than an East/West one. I do think that such an arrangement would best help the west come up to the level of the east. The better the teams one plays and the more often they are played, the better the program will become. It isn't the "be all and end all" but it would be a start. Those who are truly concerned about the development of ND hockey would support it. I surmise that the east would not which is typical as per the provincial and myopic mindset there.

Good work DL! Minot has historically beaten up on DL but this year was different. I still think that the best option is to make a North/South division rather than an East/West one. I do think that such an arrangement would best help the west come up to the level of the east. The better the teams one plays and the more often they are played, the better the program will become. It isn't the "be all and end all" but it would be a start. Those who are truly concerned about the development of ND hockey would support it. I surmise that the east would not which is typical as per the provincial and myopic mindset there.

Travel wise it is a bad move. Willy to GF twice? , Willy to Grafton?

Travel wise it is a bad move. Willy to GF twice? , Willy to Grafton?

I am sure Williston would have no problem with it. They were going to DL and DL was going out there. This is the same with Bottineau, although it is a little closer. Williston to Bismarck is no short haul either. I think they have to go to Minot and then up to Bismarck or they go South to Belfield and over on I-94. Either way, it's not too much different. Perhaps there would be another 60 miles or so to GF/Grafton but that is it. That said, Minot and Bismarck did compete well with the East some years ago -- late 80's early 90's -- in the post-season and the same divisions were standing back then. I really think that playing most of the nascent programs - Dickinson, Mandan, Hazen-Beulah - twice each year is a bad thing for the west hockey generally. To be fair, if there was a North/South division, two of those programs would be in the South and two in the North (Williston and Hazen-Beulah).

The thing I was the most impressed with with Devils Lake was the class they showed after they scored a goal. They'd have like a one second little group hug and skate back to their positions. A couple of times they didn't really even celebrate. After they won their first round game over Bismarck they really didn't even celebrate. Groves skated right out to the red line and they shook hands right away.

I think a lot of that reflects on the type of coach that Henry is, not accepting showboats and what not. It was great watching a team work that hard, and have some success.

Congrats Satans....err...Firebirds! :lol:

USSR didn't celebrate nor smile after a goal...but you are right the team has got some class