SiouxSports.com Forum

Stuck In Your Seat

bubble874

Well, first and foremost, I would like to express my appreciation for those who actually care about the outcome of sioux hockey games. I was witness to a complete disgrace to the Grand Forks community this evening. I was located in the student section, located 1 row in front of the suites. My friend and I decided to stand up for the final 14.5 seconds of the overtime period to support our team. What did I hear? "Hey sit down!!!! Hey your blocking my view!!!! Hey sit down!!!!" I looked back, and an overweight local resident was barking at us. I'm sorry, but as far as I am concerned I have every right to stand up and support my team, especially when we are in the closing seconds of a highly contested game. This is just typical behavior of the Grand Forks local community. They should look at what the university offers to them, and, act accordingly. Furthermore, said "overweight" gentleman went beyond any rational discretion and warned us that he, and I quote, "had all of us on video tape, and that we would never sit in our seats again". It is very dissapointing to me to think that it must be a student versus the world situation, especially because our time standing up was the one and only time in the overtime which we were afoot in the arena. I find it hard to believe that rather than support our home team, this individual would choose to yell at myself and

colleagues, thus ruining our night and our experience at the REA, in such a negative manner. To conclude, shame on those who cannot support our team in times such as those are necessary in a 2-2 contest in overtime. At no such point did we make ourselves to be obnoxious, loud, drunk individuals that do not deserve to be part of the overall REA experience. Either pay more money to disallow us from entering the arena, or, for lack of better words, f$%k YOURSELF!!! TWICE!!!

Its not a matter of ignoring such individuals but knowing they are just out of control for no such reason its ridiculous. I was with bubble up there and trying to hold my cool, but after not standing all game long and ONLY standing with less than 20 seconds left in the OVERTIME period, seems to me that people would stand and maybe, i say maybe, cheer on the team. Apparently, this larger fella, whom, must i say, was the only person in his whole suite arguing, felt the need to argue the fact that we stood up at the end of the game. He continued to argue his "point" until the end of the game, unaware that there was only 20 seconds left. His 20 second tyrade was over when the buzzer sounded. I hope he was just one drunk amongst the multiple ones, and he was not the typcial GF suite holder who just hates students. The guy was rude, drunk, unwilling to rationalize thought, and out of control. If he would have made his way down the extra 3 rows (of suite seats) *aka no way we were really blocking his view, I would have punched the stupid fat ass in his face and he would have learned how to stand and cheer.

Its not a matter of ignoring such individuals but knowing they are just out of control for no such reason its ridiculous. I was with bubble up there and trying to hold my cool, but after not standing all game long and ONLY standing with less than 20 seconds left in the OVERTIME period, seems to me that people would stand and maybe, i say maybe, cheer on the team. Apparently, this larger fella, whom, must i say, was the only person in his whole suite arguing, felt the need to argue the fact that we stood up at the end of the game. He continued to argue his "point" until the end of the game, unaware that there was only 20 seconds left. His 20 second tyrade was over when the buzzer sounded. I hope he was just one drunk amongst the multiple ones, and he was not the typcial GF suite holder who just hates students. The guy was rude, drunk, unwilling to rationalize thought, and out of control. If he would have made his way down the extra 3 rows (of suite seats) *aka no way we were really blocking his view, I would have punched the stupid fat ass in his face and he would have learned how to stand and cheer.

At the Ralph, it is NEVER an isolated incident. This community wants the college sports without the college or the college students that are fans!!

Exactly, lets not get on the fact that the stupid worker at the tunnel wouldnt even let me bring a beer to the non-student section. Lets bring on Grand Forks Sioux, they'll get far..............................................

Wow, I can honestly say I've never heard this before. :D:ohmy:

In any case, I completely sympathize with you because from everything the students are told the Ralph WANTS you to stand and cheer at IMPORTANT moments of the game. I would classify overtime as very important.

However, the Ralph wasn't designed properly for this to happen. It sucks for whoever sits there, so next time don't sit back there.

Wow, I can honestly say I've never heard this before. :D:ohmy:

In any case, I completely sympathize with you because from everything the students are told the Ralph WANTS you to stand and cheer at IMPORTANT moments of the game. I would classify overtime as very important.

However, the Ralph wasn't designed properly for this to happen. It sucks for whoever sits there, so next time don't sit back there.

It was designed just fine. The legacy of the students sitting at center ice** is, and always will be, the problem.

**I was one of them.

Yeah, having just graduated, I too know what turmoil students have endured the last 5 years since the new arena opened.

If the suites were elevated, there would be no sight line issues. Because they are not, if students stand in front they block the view of those people in the suite seats. Bad design for standing...take a look at the Excel center in St. Paul if you don't believe it.

The issue of standing has been run into the ground, and it'll get the same response from anyone on this board...anyone who decides to reopen that book anyway.