SiouxSports.com Forum

At DU; At SCSU

The Sicatoka

I wonder if there is anyway to get the FSSN away from WDAZ, its obvious that Channel eight is holding FSSN back.

This looks like an incredible money making opportunity, that isn't being acted on.

We've been down this same road before (specifically the football playoffs)

WDAZ has a stake in the FSSN since they supply the production people. Who else is going to show the games? If I recall, none of the other stations in the market are in GF so I can't see other stations putting the time and effort into the FSSN. WDAZ has some more resources in WDAY.

But lets look on the posititve. The Sioux fans are lucky as you know all home games are on TV. I guess some people use UMTC as the bench mark and think that all teams should have a TV schedule like that. Unless in a couple years FSN decides to crate a "Dakotas" feed for all the DI teams I don't see it happening.

But in terms of TV coverage, here is how they rank TV exposure wise (not internet).

1. UMTC

2. Bucky

3. UND

4. Mankato/SCSU/UAA

7. UMD/Denver

9. CC

10. MTU

UMTC obviously is #1 due to FSN. But remember, when FSN started carrying them they had no winter sports (no Wolfies and I dont think the North Stars were on there)

Bucky is #2 again due to FSN and they also tape delay some games for Wisco Public TV

UND/Mankato/SCSU/UAA are all kinda in the same boat. All have all the home games televised on local cable TV and in some cases a couple road games. Mankato/SCSU will show in both markets since they are on a channel owned by Charter cable. But I put UND #3 since they have their games on satellite so people outside the GF area can see the games.

UMD & Denver have a mix of home & road. Both have around 15-17 games a year. In UMD's case, 6 games this year are just simulcasts of FSN games with UMD graphics (4 with Bucky & 2 with UMTC)

CC picks up a few feeds from other teams (UND & UMD are examples) and Denver series on RSN RM

MTU I dont think has any TV coverage

So lets be happy that you can see your team even if you don't live near GF.

But I put UND #3 since they have their games on satellite so people outside the GF area can see the games.

If you have Midcontinent Cable, you don't have to have a satellite dish to see UND hockey outside of Grand Forks. For that reason, I'd say the FSSN is a good deal farther ahead of Mankato/SCSU/UAA in television coverage.

understandable PCM :D

I meant the people have the option of watching it via satellite if they so do please. Yes Alaska does beam their games up via satellite but its on C-band (the old big backyard dishes) and some times they tape delay them until 1:30AM CST

For those without FSSN, webcasts will be available and free, for the rest of the year

http://fightingsioux.xosn.com

So, you can watch the Denver series and SCSU series online at that link for FREE!!!!!!!

Um, I think the webcast is only for home games. They will have the radio link to the DU and SCSU games, but not video.

I for one am very greatful that we have FSSN as I do not live in Grand Forks. It was not all that long ago that I would call the radio station after the game was over and ask the final score. WDAZ, Sweeney and Bredahl get a lot of criticism and have a real big bulls-eye on their back but I for one feel very lucky to get the coverage we get. Anything else from my perpsective is purely a bonus.

I for one am very greatful that we have FSSN as I do not live in Grand Forks. It was not all that long ago that I would call the radio station after the game was over and ask the final score. WDAZ, Sweeney and Bredahl get a lot of criticism and have a real big bulls-eye on their back but I for one feel very lucky to get the coverage we get. Anything else from my perpsective is purely a bonus.

Me also, and it is for that reason that I canceled my directtv service and went to cable (When ncc ray added FSSN to their cable lineup)

so true!

I am a college hockey fan and when I first got my free to air system, I didnt know they were on KU Band until someone had mentioned it. Reaimed my dish and pipcked up the Sioux game and thought "this was cool". Found out that all home games were on TV so the dish stayed there until end of season.