SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Futures NCAA Prospects

AZSIOUX

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9436

looking at their wcha ncaa prospects, they have a very bright future!! many hockey east notables as well

sioux-toews,porter

badgers-ford,dowell,skille,burish

cc tigers- mcculloch

Chris Porter, C

Senior, University of North Dakota

Drafted: 2003 (ninth round, 282nd overall)

He may be one of the least-known players outside of the Grand Forks community, but the contributions that Chris Porter has made to the team have been crucial to its success, particularly this season. He is one of the three seniors on a predominantly young Fighting Sioux team. Porter has established himself as a hard-hitting support player but now in his final year, his game has come full circle with strong leadership and the various aspects of his game all coming together. Throughout his career, Porter has demonstrated a knack for scoring timely goals and this season is no different. Thus far, Porter has 17 points (five goals, 12 assists). Of his five goals, two are game-winners and one is a game-tying goal. He also holds the distinction of being NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Iron Man. To date, Porter has never missed a game in his collegiate career, playing in 160 consecutive games.

The Thunder Bay, ON native's physical style combined with his great skating and cannon-like shot are attributes that have served him quite well at the collegiate level. While it isn't likely that he'll become a high-scoring forward, he could become a reliable, contributing support player. For Porter, being able to keep things simple will be one of the keys to being successful at the next level.

"Chris is not going to be effective when he starts playing a little too fancy and instead of just playing that power game,

hf atlanta ncaa prospects

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9437

kaip,kozek,forney

Rylan Kaip, C - University of North Dakota, Junior

9th round, 269th overall, 2003

The Fighting Sioux alternate captain centers a checking line of Erik Fabian and Kyle Radke/Andrew Kozek and is a staple on the penalty kill. He has just one goal and four assists in 23 games compared to seven total points in 41 games last year.

Kaip was ejected from UND

Some people said the same about Oshie before he came to UND.

Dead wrong about Oshie, Dead on about Forney, this has been a waste of a year for him, the only positive is that he supposedly has so much talent, he wouldn't have likely stayed 4 years anyway. Now we will just get him for 1 more year.

Even though this year has not been worthwhile, we can look forward to better things. I suppose that this year isn't over yet either.

He was not ready for D1 hockey this year - he should have played in the USHL instead.

While this may, or may not, be true, what good does it do at this point to even make the suggestion? Are we going to call a "do over" and get him a full four years of eligibility and send him to the USHL right now? Impossible. Do you think Forney himself has been happy with the level of his contribution to the team? I have no idea. Are you sure that what he's doing in practice isn't helping the rest of the team? Again, I have no idea. Maybe give Hakstol a call and ask him.

Had Zajac not left early last year, this wouldn't even be a topic to discuss. Forney wouldn't be here.

All you experts (or geniuses - *copyright Sid Hartman :lol: ) on this site have sure made it a chore to come here lately. :)

Dead wrong about Oshie, Dead on about Forney...,

And thus, my point. There's no real way of knowing how ready a player is until he's on the ice playing at the college level. Using perfect 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to now say that Forney needed a year in the minors.

And thus, my point. There's no real way of knowing how ready a player is until he's on the ice playing at the college level. Using perfect 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to now say that Forney needed a year in the minors.

Hindsight is a biatch. the one thing about Forney is that he's been injury prone since high school. let's hope he comes back next year with a summer of being injury-free. As for Oshie, i'm still hoping his dad's comments to me at the Regional last year rings true. "TJ will be here 3 years, that's the plan. he needs to grow as a hockey player and a person." i'd bet the odds that this latest incident isn't going to affect his decision either way.

Having no other information I would contend Forney's complete lack of performance is a direct result of injuries. I just haven't seen Hak and crew miss the mark by this much. In Hak I trust. :lol:

its hard to say that they "missed the mark" when forney has been injured and that would obviously affect your play...especially shoulder. also oshie and toews were not up to par (par for them i mean) for a number of games this season. i think if forney stays healthy we can start this discussion next year at this time. as for now this whole thing on forney is moot if you ask me.

another point that happened this year was with lammy. people were saying he sucked etc. and it wasnt until we actually found out that he was still having ankle problems and it just had not been brought up to the press until around the dartmouth tourney. if you look now, people wouldnt say he sucks. obviously patience is a virtue.

Having no other information I would contend Forney's complete lack of performance is a direct result of injuries. I just haven't seen Hak and crew miss the mark by this much. In Hak I trust. :lol:

I'm hoping Forney trusts Hak as well. I'd hate for him to do something rash and transfer or something to that affect. Just because you had a rather lackluster freshman year doesn't mean you are a bust (well...unless you are Grieco...or Finley) and I'd hate to see Forney transfer because of whatever reason.

hes hurt, there is no other reason he isnt playing, hopefully next year he will be ready to roll because this kid wouldnt have camwe in from highschool if the coaches didnt think he was ready. its just a shame we couldnt see him full force this season as he came in a hell of a signee....

Anyone watching Oshie play his senior year knew he was ready - which is why his stock rose and became the 24th pick in the NHL draft and made the USA Jr. team.

Anyone watching Forney play his senior year knew he was no Oshie - which is why he dropped to the 3rd round of the NHL draft.

The coaches brought Forney in this year because they had to - remember 2 fowards left early.

Nobody is throwing him under the bus. He just isn't ready this year.

Anyone watching Oshie play his senior year knew he was ready - which is why his stock rose and became the 24th pick in the NHL draft and made the USA Jr. team.

And yet there were people who posted on this board that T.J. needed a year in the USHL before coming to UND. I guess they were nobodys.

Anyone watching Forney play his senior year knew he was no Oshie - which is why he dropped to the 3rd round of the NHL draft.

He dropped because he had two serious injuries and nobody knew how well he'd recover.

• 3 weeks later...