SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota considers allowing cohabitation

jimdahl

North Dakota lawmakers weigh repeal of anti-cohabitation law

Democratic State Senator Tracy Potter says the Legislature should repeal the law against cohabitation, which is punishable by a 30-day jail term and a $1,000 fine.

Potter said citizens ignore the law and police don't enforce it. If they did, he said North Dakota would need a $10 billion prison to hold all the violators.

But Tom Freier, a spokesman for the North Dakota Family Alliance, said repealing the measure would signal that the state doesn't value marriage and the societal benefits it brings.

The way that this law was explained to me, back in the day, was that it wasn't illegal to live with a member of the opposite sex- it was illegal to walk around and tell people that you were married and to act as if you were married when you weren't.

It's all in how you interpret the law.

I think there are more important issues to deal with.

EDITED TO ADD Let people live together the next thing that they will want to do is live with animals. :whistling:

The way that this law was explained to me, back in the day, was that it wasn't illegal to live with a member of the opposite sex- it was illegal to walk around and tell people that you were married and to act as if you were married when you weren't.

It's all in how you interpret the law.

I think there are more important issues to deal with.

EDITED TO ADD Let people live together the next thing that they will want to do is live with animals. :whistling:

I really hope this law gets repealed. I'm tired of living on the lam for my past transgressions.