SiouxSports.com Forum

UND b-ball recruits

UND92,96

Does anyone know whether Glas and/or Roebuck plan to sign anyone in the spring signing period?

I think Roebuck should consider signing another power forward/center since Boll is graduating and recruit Val Sannes is questionable for next year with a serious knee injury. I like the potential front line of Leighton, Boese and Demaine, but depth looks questionable if Sannes isn't able to play. Plus, Leighton and Demaine will be seniors next year. Hopefully, red-shirt Jami Glick will be able to contribute next season also.

As for the men, another power forward/center and possibly a juco point guard would seem to be possibilities. Obviously the wing spots appear very solid and deep with Brandt, M. Johnson, Austin and Jacobson. Jahner has seen his playing time dwindle so I'm not sure he's the answer at the point. I like Steve Bradley but it's questionable whether he could defend the quicker point guards. Recruit Josh Doyle is supposed to be one of the better players in Iowa and an excellent offensive player. It's possible he could play as a true freshman.

I think Rypkema will be one of the better post players in the NCC next season. He'd probably start at many NCC schools right now. 6'11" guys with coordination and a nice shooting touch are pretty rare commodities in division II (or even in low to mid-level division I). Evan Lindahl has shown flashes of being an excellent offensive player. I'd love to see a wide-body post scorer, even if he's not all that tall. I have heard that the guy at Lake Region (Ferguson?) is a pretty good prospect but I'm not sure whether he's being recruited heavily by UND or not. Supposedly dII power Kentucky Wesleyan really wants him.

I have heard that the guy at Lake Region (Ferguson?) is a pretty good prospect but I'm not sure whether he's being recruited heavily by UND or not. Supposedly dII power Kentucky Wesleyan really wants him.

There was a Herald article by Wayne Nelson in which I believe it was stated that UND and Kentucky Wesleyan were both interested and were recruiting Ferguson. Because of some sort of rule regarding foreign (in this case Costa Rica) players, Ferguson is not eligible for Div I.

Iowa Preps has reported that UND is recruiting Jake Wenig, 6'5" forward, but the competition for him looks to be fierce: Jake Wenig

Iowa Preps profile on UND recruit Josh Doyle also showed Div I interest ( Josh Doyle ), so there may be hope.

With relatively few scholarships spots available after this season (Beasley's, Walker's, Allen's, Porter's and maybe Kollar's), there may not be much more room for more signees beyond Doyle, Gutter, Jacobson, and Austin. If Ferguson and a good center sign on, it would be quite a recruiting class.

Here's what I've been able to gather on Costa Rica native Franklyn Ferguson:

6'6" 240 pounds;

Led Mon-Dak Conference in scoring at 23.5/game;

Very strong and athletic;

Only a freshman at Lake Region but is 25 years old;

Had 26 points and 7 boards last night against NDSCS;

As star2city mentioned, he is not eligible to go division I so he'll likely end up at a division II school;

Kentucky Wesleyan wants him badly, as do numerous other dII's.

If he decides to leave Lake Region early, it sounds like he would really fill a need for the Sioux. At present, there are no returning post players who have much bulk or strength. Recruit Mike Gutter is apparently pretty strong as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he red-shirts next season.

I saw Gutter's team made the USA Today Top 25 this week.  That team is filled with studs, his stats can't be great with so many studs on that team.

He's averaging 6.5 ppg, down from 14.5 ppg last year. I'm sure he's got a lot of potential or he wouldn't have been ranked in the top 10 college prospects in the state of Wisconsin. But I can't help but be a little concerned about such a large drop-off in scoring from his junior year to his senior year. On the other hand, put him on a high school team in ND or even any other team in Wisconsin besides King and maybe he's averaging 20 per game.

UND recruit Aaron Austin is having quite a year at Fergus Falls Community College. They won the Minnesota state tournament over the weekend, with Austin going for 33 in the title game against Minneapolis Community and Technical College. Austin was also named tournament MVP. Fergus is now 27-1 on the year. Coming into the tournament, Austin was averaging 21 points, 2.5 steals, and 5.4 assists per game, and he scored well above his average during the tournament. He's going to have a big impact for the Sioux next year.

According to Tuesday's Herald, 6'0" forward Lindsay Draayer of Owatonna, Minnesota has given the UND women a verbal commitment. However, according to the SDSU website, she signed a letter of intent with them back in November. Does anybody know what the deal is?

According to Tuesday's Herald, 6'0" forward Lindsay Draayer of Owatonna, Minnesota has given the UND women a verbal commitment. However, according to the SDSU website, she signed a letter of intent with them back in November. Does anybody know what the deal is?

i herd that and i herd that gene wants her in place of becky moen fo rnext year. i hope hse will be good up here and kick the crap out of the d-1 bison

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious whether anyone who has seen May-Port play thinks Kyle Nelson and/or Craig Nelson might be NCC-caliber players? Kyle is a legit 6'9" and has a very nice touch. He would definitely have to red-shirt and get stronger, but it wouldn't surprise me if ultimately he turns out to be a better college player than Tyler Koenig of Fargo North if he works hard to get stronger. It's refreshing to see a big guy who doesn't want to drift outside and shoot 3's instead of planting himself on the blocks.

Craig Nelson reminds me a little of ex-East Grand Forks and Mayville St. star Travis Lindgren. It doesn't seem like he's big enough, but he just gets the job done. I don't blame Rich Glas for not recruiting Lindgren out of high school since he's only about 5'8", but in retrospect he would have been a very nice NCC point guard considering the numbers he put up in the DAC-10. Nelson is probably about 5'10", very heady, makes good decisions, and can knock down shots. I'm not sure whether he's quick enough, however. It's tough to tell watching him play against ND Class B competition. I assume he played AAU ball during the summer so that would have been a much better barometer of how he does against better competition.

I'm curious whether anyone who has seen May-Port play thinks Kyle Nelson and/or Craig Nelson might be NCC-caliber players?  Kyle is a legit 6'9" and has a very nice touch. 

From reasonably reliable sources, Kyle Nelson is being heavily pursued by South Dakota State. It sounds as if Craig Nelson has not yet received much serious NCC interest.

For what it's worth--which admittedly isn't much--I did see both Nelson's at an early season UND game. Of course, that doesn't mean they were/are being recruited.

Since the state of North Dakota produces very, very few big kids (6'8" or taller) with much ability or potential, I think it would be a mistake not to take a chance on Kyle Nelson. Big kids are pretty tough to recruit to division II schools, period. At present, Rypkema is in the fold for two more years, but there are no other true post players on the team or who have signed a letter of intent. Recruit Mike Gutter is more of a power forward, I think, and Evan Lindahl is definitely not a center.

Craig Nelson currently has better DII skills than Kyle. Craig has quickness and a great court sense. Learned well from his Grandfather. Kyle is good around the basket against the smaller players he played against. Lindahl had much more physical talent at that stage, but if Kyle has the desire, he could improve.

UND92,96 Posted on Mar 23 2003, 09:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started this thread to talk about basketball recruiting. How the above four posts pertain to that, I have no idea. If you guys want to have petty arguments, I'm sure there's a more appropriate thread for it. 

You are correct, I have deleted my last two post.

UND92,96 Posted on Mar 22 2003, 04:47 PM

I think, and Evan Lindahl is definitely not a center.

I would also agree with your comment above. He can be more valuable away from the basket. He has a good outside shot.

I last saw Kyle Nelson in the state championship game as a junior and was not impressed. I thought Adam Grant was twice the ballplayer he was. Unless he's improved immensely the last year, I don't think he has the physical ability to play in the NCC. Just my two cents.

I last saw Kyle Nelson in the state championship game as a junior and was not impressed.  I thought Adam Grant was twice the ballplayer he was.  Unless he's improved immensely the last year, I don't think he has the physical ability to play in the NCC.  Just my two cents.

I agree that as a junior, he was not particularly impressive. But he has improved fairly dramatically in the past year, to the point where he was a Mr. Basketball finalist. As I stated above, kids of his size (6'9") who actually have touch and coordination are very rare in this area. He's a pretty aggressive shot-blocker, a good shooter from the free throw line in, and with some added bulk and strength, he could be a very good college player. It all depends on how much he works to get better.

Grant was fairly impressive last year in that he had pretty good skills and could handle the ball well for a bigger kid. But he is at least 2" shorter than Nelson, and didn't play particularly big, in my opinion. In terms of upside, I would say Nelson has much more potential than Grant, who incidentally ended up at Northern State. Grant didn't seem all that interested in being a post player, and his limited quickness and athletic ability would seem to limit his effectiveness on the perimeter in college, particularly on defense.