SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are my picks for the West Region.

1. Minot

-They will get their act together and their goaltending should be good down the stretch.

2. Jamestown

-They are on a mission to show West teams. But I don't think they will beat Minot again and they will have some close losses.

3. Bismarck(HS)

-Not to sure about these guys. I would say it depends on how the rival games with Minot go, if they can sweep Minot then I see Minot, Jamestown, and Bismarck all pretty even in the standings.

4. Williston

-Again, not to sure hear, but I just don't see them having the depth.

But it is to early yet to know to much and the teams have not played consistently.

Any word on the minot and DL game.................Minot will not be the number 1 seed out of the west

Devil's Lake won in overtime on a penalty shot goal. Score 3-2. Minot had lots of pressure in overtime and the defence pinched and got caught. Then Kyle Everson, who got tripped on the folowing breakaway, scored on the penalty shot.

I am from Minot and live in MN. It pains me to say it but Minot sucks. That program has really suffered since Bruce Olson left. I don't know what they're going to do out there. They should lure Bliss Littler or someone like him back to coach the team. Hopefully, some of the old hockey buffs around town like the Morrelli family, Philion, Danny Hanson, Mike Hanson will get involved and help that program get back to where it once was. Pretty sad now.

I caught the end of the Minot-DL game on the radio (not feeling to well, and slept through most of it... :lol: )

It sounded like Minot's goaltender had a pretty good game, and the same could be said for Devils Lake's goalie. The Minot radio guy does an okay job and it seems like DL's goalie made two or three big saves before Everson won it on the penalty shot. I may get laughed at, but I think Everson could be Mr. Hockey. Every time he touched the puck at the end the Minot announcers got scared... :0

This is a pretty good result for Minot. Although they're probably upset they lost, this team needed a strong showing, and I think they got that. I think Chad Burckhard will do a good job taking baby steps with this team, and make them a good team in the long run.

PS: I also heard that Al Henry got a puck in the head? What happened there? ;)

I am from Minot and live in MN. It pains me to say it but Minot sucks. That program has really suffered since Bruce Olson left. I don't know what they're going to do out there. They should lure Bliss Littler or someone like him back to coach the team. Hopefully, some of the old hockey buffs around town like the Morrelli family, Philion, Danny Hanson, Mike Hanson will get involved and help that program get back to where it once was. Pretty sad now.

I think the current coach (in his second season) has some potential. Gary Samson was a horrible coach and should have been sacked long before 2 years ago. If it had not been for him, we almost for sure would have won State a few years ago. Danny Hanson I do not want to see coaching either. He ran our booster program for a while and wasn't very good. I realy can't think of anyone in town that is currently coaching that would be a good guy for the possition (other than Minot State's coach and not counting the current coach).

I caught the end of the Minot-DL game on the radio (not feeling to well, and slept through most of it... :lol: )

It sounded like Minot's goaltender had a pretty good game, and the same could be said for Devils Lake's goalie. The Minot radio guy does an okay job and it seems like DL's goalie made two or three big saves before Everson won it on the penalty shot. I may get laughed at, but I think Everson could be Mr. Hockey. Every time he touched the puck at the end the Minot announcers got scared... :0

This is a pretty good result for Minot. Although they're probably upset they lost, this team needed a strong showing, and I think they got that. I think Chad Burckhard will do a good job taking baby steps with this team, and make them a good team in the long run.

PS: I also heard that Al Henry got a puck in the head? What happened there? ;)

I was also thinking that Kyle Everson could be a Mr. Hockey candidate. I never heard about Al Henry getting hit by a puck. There is netting all the way around the rink so I don't know how a puck with any kind of force could hit someone. Edit: Oops, Al Henry is Devil's Lake's coach, isn't he?

By the way, JV tied 2-2. So yeah, baby steps are being taken.

Edit: Both goalies did have good games. You are right, Minot had lots of pressure and some chances before getting caught and then having to trip Everson and then give up the goal.

I was also thinking that Kyle Everson could be a Mr. Hockey candidate. I never heard about Al Henry getting hit by a puck. There is netting all the way around the rink so I don't know how a puck with any kind of force could hit someone. Edit: Oops, Al Henry is Devil's Lake's coach, isn't he?

By the way, JV tied 2-2. So yeah, baby steps are being taken.

Edit: Both goalies did have good games. You are right, Minot had lots of pressure and some chances before getting caught and then having to trip Everson and then give up the goal.

Al Henry is the coach of DL. He was on the bench. :)

I think the current coach (in his second season) has some potential. Gary Samson was a horrible coach and should have been sacked long before 2 years ago. If it had not been for him, we almost for sure would have won State a few years ago. Danny Hanson I do not want to see coaching either. He ran our booster program for a while and wasn't very good. I realy can't think of anyone in town that is currently coaching that would be a good guy for the possition (other than Minot State's coach and not counting the current coach).

This is interesting. He was an assistant when I played along with Willert and Dave Stanley. What was his deal as a head coach anyway? I had heard that a lot of the players did not really care for him and that he was not too good of a motivator. I always liked him personally. Blais was still there when I was in 6th 7th and 8th grade and he did a lot with us Bantams then. Olson was pretty intense too. How was it that he had so many good teams and did not win state? The east was good, of course, but with players like Mike Hanson in 94 or 95 when they beat Warroad in Warroad, Grubb, Fylling and so many others they should have been able to win state at least once. I thought that I heard that Ben Keup was around town. His dad is a dentist in Minot and he played for the ND Hounds in Wilcox and Lake Superior State. One would think that he'd do a pretty good job if he were interested. Chris Cartier is another one from Minot who played for ND Hounds (I'm not sure where he played his college hockey) that I understand is around Minot. Is he involved in the program at all?

This is interesting. He was an assistant when I played along with Willert and Dave Stanley. What was his deal as a head coach anyway? I had heard that a lot of the players did not really care for him and that he was not too good of a motivator. I always liked him personally. Blais was still there when I was in 6th 7th and 8th grade and he did a lot with us Bantams then. Olson was pretty intense too. How was it that he had so many good teams and did not win state? The east was good, of course, but with players like Mike Hanson in 94 or 95 when they beat Warroad in Warroad, Grubb, Fylling and so many others they should have been able to win state at least once.

This is just as far as I know, he never coached me. Samson was not a very good motivator and he was not a very disciplined coach. His teams took tons of penalties. During Chads first year as coach, the amount of penalties dropped by a lot.

Yes they should have one State, at least once and maybe twice.

I did not know Blaise helped out with the youth program. Simmilarly, the current Minot State coach (Bernie Lynch) coaches Bantam B's. The kids realy like him and he is very good.

Everson has to do something against a talented team. Diechert is the favorite till then.

Sean Diechert is a great goalie and will definitly be a Mr. Hockey candidate. However, when will we see how good he really is? Last year he did not face many shots a game due to the talent South has on the defensive side of the puck, and when he did see shots, where were they coming from? Poor angles. In my opinion this could hurt Seans chance at Mr. Hockey if it is taken into account. The coachs may tip there hat to a player on a weaker team who elevates his teams play to another level (Everson, Bombenger, Hillman, Hills (GPR)). Just a thought. I have no idea who will be up for Mr. Hockey, as far as I can see it is wide open.

This is just as far as I know, he never coached me. Samson was not a very good motivator and he was not a very disciplined coach. His teams took tons of penalties. During Chads first year as coach, the amount of penalties dropped by a lot.

Yes they should have one State, at least once and maybe twice.

I did not know Blaise helped out with the youth program. Simmilarly, the current Minot State coach (Bernie Lynch) coaches Bantam B's. The kids realy like him and he is very good.

Yes, you are correct in saying that Minot should have won one State Championship. They did that in 1992. That is the only one that they should of won. There was no way in the past couple of years that they would make it out of the semifinal round, let alone the quaterfinals.

Yes, you are correct in saying that Minot should have won one State Championship. They did that in 1992. That is the only one that they should of won. There was no way in the past couple of years that they would make it out of the semifinal round, let alone the quaterfinals.

I disagree. I think they could have deffinatley won state two years ago when they came in undefeated two years ago but they just choked. They were the most talented team in the state that year.

I disagree. I think they could have deffinatley won state two years ago when they came in undefeated two years ago but they just choked. They were the most talented team in the state that year.

I agree. I was aware of the 1992 championship. Minot and Bismarck were both great that year. Two years ago when they had Willer, Dittus, and Selk and some others, they should have won it for sure but they did choke hard. I can't figure out why Samson's teams always did that. The 1993 team with Philion and Danny Hanson could have taken state as could the 1998 team with Fylling and John GRubb and Brian Haaland. They were very good in 1994 and 1995 too. It's ironic that Samson had the lone championship for Minot and then his teams choked all of his other years. He's a super guy and I was sad to see him not win another.

I agree. I was aware of the 1992 championship. Minot and Bismarck were both great that year. Two years ago when they had Willer, Dittus, and Selk and some others, they should have won it for sure but they did choke hard. I can't figure out why Samson's teams always did that. The 1993 team with Philion and Danny Hanson could have taken state as could the 1998 team with Fylling and John GRubb and Brian Haaland. They were very good in 1994 and 1995 too. It's ironic that Samson had the lone championship for Minot and then his teams choked all of his other years. He's a super guy and I was sad to see him not win another.

I know Minot has won one State championship. I ment they should have won another one or two.

Yes, they should have won State two years ago in my oppinion. Those same kids had won Bantam A State.