SiouxSports.com Forum

Northeastern State University (OK) Announces Name Change

MafiaMan

NSU New Nickname

I love the nickname nominees:

RiverHawks

War Eagles (sounds a bit too hostile and abusive, doesn't it?)

Wolves (yea, you and 10,000 high schools around the USA)

Thunderhawks (as opposed to what, Lightninghawks? And why no capital "H" for this one, but one for RiverHawks? I'm confused)

Thunderbirds (see above, particularly with small "b" in birds)

And my personal favorite, the Riverwolves (heck, why not the Landfish? Seascorpions? Watercows?)

NSU New Nickname

I love the nickname nominees:

RiverHawks

War Eagles (sounds a bit too hostile and abusive, doesn't it?)

Wolves (yea, you and 10,000 high schools around the USA)

Thunderhawks (as opposed to what, Lightninghawks? And why no capital "H" for this one, but one for RiverHawks? I'm confused)

Thunderbirds (see above, particularly with small "b" in birds)

And my personal favorite, the Riverwolves (heck, why not the Landfish? Seascorpions? Watercows?)

What the NCAA really needs is a few more teams named the "Tigers", "Lions", "Wildcats", "Panthers" or "Pioneers".

College Nicknames

SiouxMD, did you catch how they distinguished themselves from UMass-Lowell by making their name "RiverHawks" one word as opposed to "River Hawks" two words like UML? Brilliant! :D

Whatever they are paying their marketing consultants is not enough...genius. ;)

God how stupid. What in the hell is a "RiverHawk"? A hawk that preys upon mice by a river? All of this non-offensive name garbage is really, really inane. What a waste. Isn't Syracuse the "Orangemen"? Isn't that some reference to indians? This whole thing is surreal in its idiocy.

God how stupid. What in the hell is a "RiverHawk"? A hawk that preys upon mice by a river? All of this non-offensive name garbage is really, really inane. What a waste. Isn't Syracuse the "Orangemen"? Isn't that some reference to indians? This whole thing is surreal in its idiocy.

As of May 12, 2004, Syracuse dropped the "men/women" from Orangemen and Orangewomen to just plain old Orange. Orangemen is apparently another name for British Protestants from what I read online. There's your PC "fact of knowledge" for the day.

As of May 12, 2004, Syracuse dropped the "men/women" from Orangemen and Orangewomen to just plain old Orange. Orangemen is apparently another name for British Protestants from what I read online. There's your PC "fact of knowledge" for the day.

The Syracuse Orangemen were named because they wore orange, much like their big-rival the St John's Redmen who wore red. Neither connotation had anything to do with anything other than the color of football or basketball uniform the players wore. St John's changed their name a long long time ago DESPITE the fact that it had absolutely no direct relation to Native American imagery. Syracuse changed their name to "Orange" to better recognize all SU athletes, not just men.