SiouxSports.com Forum

Newberry to drop "Indians"

jimdahl

Really, I don't remember reading that language as part of the settlement.

No matter which way anyone reads the settlement agreement, I can't see the NCAA forcing a school to adopt a nickname: and even if they did try to force the issue you could just delay them forever by continuing to "study" the problem.

And nothing would stop your school from adopting "North Dakotans" (or even Dakotans) and then simply not displaying the nickname on your athletic uniforms.

No matter which way anyone reads the settlement agreement, I can't see the NCAA forcing a school to adopt a nickname: and even if they did try to force the issue you could just delay them forever by continuing to "study" the problem.

And nothing would stop your school from adopting "North Dakotans" (or even Dakotans) and then simply not displaying the nickname on your athletic uniforms.

All I know is that I read the settlement a few times and never saw anything that suggested that UND can just be North Dakota...

Maybe it read it wrong but I am pretty sure it said we could not be just north dakota. You have to read the fine print

The exact words are "...transition to a new nickname and logo which do not violate the Policy..."

I think the legal question is whether "no" nickname and logo is a "new" nickname and logo. Whatever the case, if UND wanted the option of having no nickname, the lawyers did a terrible job drafting the settlement agreement. At a minimum, it is questionable whether UND can have no nickname and be in compliance with the NCAA.

www.ag.nd.gov/NCAA/SettlementAgreement.pdf

All I know is that I read the settlement a few times and never saw anything that suggested that UND can just be North Dakota...

I think people are seeing this type of language...

If namesake tribe approval is not secured from both tribes within the time period, the University of North Dakota
will
transition to a new nickname and logo which do not violate the policy.
(emphasis added)

... and reading the word "will" as a literal imperative. IMHO, "a new nickname which does not violate the policy" could be no nickname at all.

Here's where I saw the quote above: http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_even...lement_rls.html