SiouxSports.com Forum

ConnectND / Peoplesoft

jimdahl

This would be kind of funny if it hadn't cost the NDUS so much:

Oracle, which bought the PeopleSoft company in 2004, is expected to stop support of ConnectND in a few years.

"If they discontinue supporting the product, we would have no choice but to use a different system," Glatt said.

UND made the switch Jan. 5, 2005, and students registered for classes using the system for the first time last fall.

The system, expected to cost between $24 and $39 million, has cost the state nearly $50 million to implement so far with the total cost still rising.

The transition to a new software system would be similar in magnitude to the switch to ConnectND, Glatt said.

State and higher education officials have known about this issue for "quite some time," Glatt said, and are working on finding a solution.

Having used a system at another institution (U. of Oklahoma), I find the peoplesoft enrollment/do-it-all system a complete piece of crap. Half the time it gives you errors and the other half it is slower than molasses. I find it strange all of the ND universities are linked. If I read online correctly, the universties are mandated by the state? I'm assuming this is why they all share IT resources?

Aaron

One can only hope that it doesn't completely screw up everything the first time like PeopleSoft. Seriously, UND maybe would have been better sticking with ALFI which we had before. I know they didn't have a choice, but seriously.....

It makes me so mad sometimes. ???

It's funny how they could have spent $500,000 on new servers and ALFI would still work perfectly fine for student services. But they went ahead and spent $40 million statewide and the new system is just as slow and poor in performance and navigability as the old one.

I have yet to hear one good thing from ANYONE on the Peoplesoft product.

:angry:

It's funny how they could have spent $500,000 on new servers and ALFI would still work perfectly fine for student services. But they went ahead and spent $40 million statewide and the new system is just as slow and poor in performance and navigability as the old one.

I have yet to hear one good thing from ANYONE on the Peoplesoft product.

:angry:

Heh, just to get you riled up, my Gradschool uses Peoplesoft for its academic purposes (Registering for classes, add/drop, finances, admission status, etc.) and it works fine.

I just think the state saw ConnectND from Peoplesoft and jumped at the price rather than the quality (I have no doubt that the competitors probably cost more). Doesn't make much sense even so, but that's what my guess is.