SiouxSports.com Forum

Concerned About Women's Soccer

SiouxForDII

Is anyone else concerned about how our women's soccer team is doing?

4-7-1 and no wins over quality opponents. I mean we're supposed to be beating MSU-Moorhead, Crookston and Bemidji State. SCSU too and that game was in OT!

If there isn't a win versus Augie on Sunday I'd say there's a real cause for concern. If we're not careful the NCC play-offs could be slipping over the horizon pretty quickly.

I think all the coaching changes in this program are finally catching up with us. Continuity is important in college athletic programs and that has not been present in the soccer program.

That being said, I think the program has fantastic potential for the future. We just have to keep our head coach around longer than one or two years.

As one who follows the soccer program I am concerned about a couple of losses this seaon, most notably the loss to Northern State and Concordia St. Paul. I haven't seen many games but did see them play @ Mankato and I would say they played better than I expected factoring in the seniors that they lost. There are some very good freshman in program.

By the looks of the box scores they have started anywhere for 6 to 8 freshman a game so I think that it is reasonable for some growing pains. Also losing their captain Shannon Murphy to an ACL injury has to have had a major impact. The one question mark that I have is that they brought in a transfer from Indiana State who has yet to play. She had some very high accolades, like being the school school record holder for goals in a career. I wonder if she is ineligible or injured?

In reference to the St. Cloud 1-0 OT, it was this first win for the program at St. Cloud (they tied @ St. Cloud last year). As a parent of a former player I know this because St. Cloud has been a little like Auggie for the football team so all things considered that would be a quality win. Also the NCC no longer has a postseason tournament, they did away with it after the 2004 season. Why I don't know, but you either get into the NCAA tournament or your season ends at the end of the regular season.

In reference to the St. Cloud 1-0 OT, it was this first win for the program at St. Cloud (they tied @ St. Cloud last year). As a parent of a former player I know this because St. Cloud has been a little like Auggie for the football team so all things considered that would be a quality win. Also the NCC no longer has a postseason tournament, they did away with it after the 2004 season. Why I don't know, but you either get into the NCAA tournament or your season ends at the end of the regular season.

I think the reason why the NCC did away with the conference play-off is due to the fact that the first round of the NCAA play-offs are scheduled for the first weekend in November. That's ridiculous.

That means in order to have a conference tournament on the last weekend of October you have to wrap up your regular season by the third weekend in October. I believe that's October 21/22 this year.

That would make for a ridiculously short regular season if you did that.