SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-Western Washington Game Thread

Shawn-O

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure I agree with these last two posts. I was at the game today. It is true that UND can't just "show up" and expect to win, but I was very impressed with Western Washington. They were a very physical team. Very much like most NCC teams of the past. QB was good, RB was a nice mix of power and speed. He ran over more than on would-be tackler. And a couple of nice receivers. They threw in a couple of trick plays that worked, and one that didn't (ill-advised fake punt that a real feel of desperation to it. If they punt it away there, they have a real shot at winning.) Lennon will use this game to teach. UND will be ok and WW will not embarrass itself this year.

Western Washington has some talent, but they lost to Humboldt State (who is by no means an NCC-caliber team), and got hammered AT HOME last week by UNO. I would have far less of a problem with today's game had it been on the road. At home, the fact that Western Washington was in a position to win the game in the final minute is a big concern to me.

Western Washington has some talent, but they lost to Humboldt State (who is by no means an NCC-caliber team), and got hammered AT HOME last week by UNO. I would have far less of a problem with today's game had it been on the road. At home, the fact that Western Washington was in a position to win the game in the final minute is a big concern to me.

I agree, I do not understand after UNO rushed for over 400 yards , why we did not run more, We started the 2nd half with some good gains on the ground....But we use to control the line of scrimmage better..?

I guess everyone has off days, maybe this was just one of them and we still got a big win.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the game today from being there. WW played a good game. They were more physical than I would have expected. They have some decent quality skill players. They had a great offensive scheme in the first half. Everything was 3 step drops or less and quick hitters. UND's defensive line did not have time to get any pressure and the D backs were playing soft. WW got a lot of 5-10 yard plays. Also, the 2 successful trick plays in the game made a big difference.

UND seemed a little flat and half a step slow in the beginning. The D was slow to adjust to the offense. In the second half they seemed to play tighter coverage. This made WW adjust their patterns and use deeper drops which gave the D line time to get pressure. Other than a big trick play, WW did very little on offense in the second half. Belmore had some good series and some bad. The offensive line seemed to take more control in the second half and the running game picked up speed and a lot of yards. Penalties hurt some in the second half.

It was an ugly game. The kicking game for both teams had problems. After playing well in the first 3 games, UND may have had a little bit of a let down for a non-ranked opponent. Belmore is still not playing as well as he did early last year, either he needs to improve or Manke needs to heal quickly. There is still plenty of room for this team to improve, but I think this is a very strong team with a lot of potential. They also have to face some strong teams in the NCC. It should be fun watching the NCC season develop.