SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's Kicker

bincitysioux

UND FOOTBALL: Big shoes to fill

UND coaches had their eyes on Hellevang by the time he was a junior. Lennon said he saw something familiar when scouting Hellevang. He was looking at another 5-foot-9 soccer player with a booming leg and a high rate of conversion.

"The thing I liked about Brandon Hellevang was that he reminded me a lot of Jeff Glas," said Lennon, who emphasized Hellevang's leg strength.

Hellevang says he feels comfortable kicking from as far out as 55 yards.

His longest in high school was 42 yards, and he booted a 45-yard field goal at the Mon-Dak Badlands Bowl in 2005. It is the longest kick in Badlands Bowl history.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the best thing that could happen to this program is to go a couple of years without top kicker. UND has fallen into a rut the past few years of basically playing for 3 points once they reach the 35 yard-line. Not having that security blanket will force the offense to open things up more and aggressively go for 6 points every time. Now if the new kicker can't make an extra point, then we have a problem. ;)

I think the best thing that could happen to this program is to go a couple of years without top kicker. UND has fallen into a rut the past few years of basically playing for 3 points once they reach the 35 yard-line. Not having that security blanket will force the offense to open things up more and aggressively go for 6 points every time. Now if the new kicker can't make an extra point, then we have a problem. ;)

Very good point - I agree with you fully!

I disagree. At the UNO fiasco in GF last year, it was pretty exciting in the last three seconds to know that UND was within a 50 yard field goal of winning the game, and with the Glas and Perterka, 50 yard field goals were very realistic. I'd hate to have the mindset that if we were down by 2 or three in the final two minutes of a game that we would need to get down to the 15 yard line to have a decent chance to win the game.