SiouxSports.com Forum

Tragedies at Montana State and at SDSU

star2city

I still don't understand why coaches would recruit rapists and murders for their teams, no matter how good at athletics they were. I mean, what was Scott Nagy thinking bringing two guys that were obviously going to rape a girl on to campus? He had to know that they weren't going to make eligibility when they got arrested. And that montana state coach? I mean guys that would shoot a drug dealer? Why would you have them on your team no matter how good they were at football? Its just stupid. This stuff used to be understandable when coaches couldn't predict the future, but with the advent of the "future ball", where coaches can see what is going to happen, I can't really understand it. I mean, these coaches could OBVIOUSLY tell that the players were bad apples when they recruited them, the future ball said so, they just choose to ignore it.

I sure am glad that I'm a fan of UND, where these types of players won't be recruited when we go D-I! I mean, I'm sure that luring quality players to grandforks ND is going to be a cake walk, with all we have to offer in ND.

Starcity, I know you'll take this as me defending SDSU, but whatever. You're subtitle of "character of athletic recruits in question" is stupid in any situation. Each institution has hundreds of athletes, but you managed to group all of them as potential murders and rapists based on the actions of two individuals. Congratulations, thats not idiotic at all.

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that on your list of schools you didn't have anything about Duke? Whats up with that. I can't imagine a school that is considering adding lacrosse wouldn't want to know about the character of those athletic recruits? You need to think hard about the situation, because all lacrosse players are rapists. Do you really want them coming to UND?

It still blows my mind when stuff like this makes people happy. People have had their lives ruined or ended, and because of some stupid athletic rivalry, other people get a big smile on their face over it. Thats fantastic. Really.

And believe it or not, I'm 100% sure that in the coming years UND will have a situation like this also. There are hundreds of student-athletes coming into your institution every year, a few bad apples will sneak through, I promise you. Thats not a sign of UND or any other school being a bad place, thats a sign of the times. When professional athletes can get away with this stuff with no consequences, and high school athletes aren't held to any responsibility because of our culture, crimes will become more common.

Starcity, I know you'll take this as me defending SDSU, but whatever. You're subtitle of "character of athletic recruits in question" is stupid in any situation. Each institution has hundreds of athletes, but you managed to group all of them as potential murders and rapists based on the actions of two individuals. Congratulations, thats not idiotic at all.
President Gamble of Montana State has now called into question the recruiting practices at MSU, I didn't. Personally, I believe we all have potential of causing ethical issues at our university or place of work. The answer to me is more about leadership at the institutions and having a spiritual center to know when things are amiss. Striving for excellence is alot more than striving for a win.

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that on your list of schools you didn't have anything about Duke? Whats up with that. I can't imagine a school that is considering adding lacrosse wouldn't want to know about the character of those athletic recruits? You need to think hard about the situation, because all lacrosse players are rapists. Do you really want them coming to UND?
I am far from a Duke fan, but that whole prosecution IMHO was a parody of justice caused by a DA looking for points among a constituency for his re-election. BTW, Duke lacrosse players made very poor behavior judgements even before the rape allegations, but they didn't 'deserve' what happened to them, IMO.

As far as the SDSU players, I have not pronounced them guilty, aff.

It still blows my mind when stuff like this makes people happy. People have had their lives ruined or ended, and because of some stupid athletic rivalry, other people get a big smile on their face over it. Thats fantastic. Really.
So I'm happy about this, aff? Where'd you get that? Shows what thoughts are in your heart, aff.

And believe it or not, I'm 100% sure that in the coming years UND will have a situation like this also. There are hundreds of student-athletes coming into your institution every year, a few bad apples will sneak through, I promise you. Thats not a sign of UND or any other school being a bad place, thats a sign of the times. When professional athletes can get away with this stuff with no consequences, and high school athletes aren't held to any responsibility because of our culture, crimes will become more common.
I pray that it doesn't. I also happen to know that UND coaches like Dale Lennon do not let athletes get away with even minor stuff. Minor stuff turns into major stuff. Lennon has dropped athletes that other coaches would have kept.

President Gamble of Montana State has now called into question the recruiting practices at MSU, I didn't. Personally, I believe we all have potential of causing ethical issues at our university or place of work. The answer to me is more about leadership at the institutions and having a spiritual center to know when things are amiss. Striving for excellence is alot more than striving for a win.

I think that Duke, as well as many other insitutions that this stuff happens to have all of the things you mentioned. Bad things happen to good people, and bad things happen to good individuals. That doesn't mean that everything about the insitution is corrupt. Looking at the situation in that light is the equivalent to telling Lebron James hes a bad basketball player because he tripped and fell down going up the steps to his house. Probably not the best thing to do, but it doesn't mean he is uncoridinated.

I am far from a Duke fan, but that whole prosecution IMHO was a parody of justice caused by a DA looking for points among a constituency for his re-election. BTW, Duke lacrosse players made very poor behavior judgements even before the rape allegations, but they didn't 'deserve' what happened to them, IMO.

President Gamble of Montana State has now called into question the recruiting practices at MSU, I didn't.

Which I thought was sort of...well...dumb.

If both players had still been on Montana State's athletic teams at the time of the alleged crime, Gamble might have a point. But they'd both proven that they were bad apples and kicked off the teams. What more could the coaches do, especially if there was no evidence showing that they were potential troublemakers at the time they were recruited? Does Gamble have reason to believe that the coaches knew something about the character of these two athletes at the time they were recruited?

Those are the questions I'd like answered.

College athletes, professional athletes, entertainers, politicians, and everyone else in the public eye are all somehow suppose to be better than the 'rest of us'. Why? Because the 'rest of us' tend to hold them to a higher/different standard than we have for ourselves. Somehow the old adage, 'He puts his pants on one leg at a time just like me', does not apply. Not fair but certainly the way it is.

Have the Duke players been found guilty yet? It seemed like the prosecution had no case. TONS of evidence that only raises reasonable doubt on behalf of the Duke players as far as sexual misconduct is concerned.

I agree with star on that note. Unless they are proven guilty/confess, I just don't see how the Duke lacrosse players could get lumped into this. Only thing to note is that, if those rape charges turn up false, then the Duke lacrosse players and that SDSU player will have one thing in common: Bad reputations.

Pretend for a moment that the SDSU player didn't rape that woman. The process proceeds and the court case is heard out. Meanwhile the player's name and reputation is dragged through the mud on message boards, media outlets, on campus, etc. Then the player gets a not guilty verdict. Heck, let's say the accuser comes out and says outright that she made the whole thing up. Where does that put the SDSU player? It means that he doesn't have a criminal record, sure, but what about the ruling in the court of public opinion? He's no longer just an "SDSU player." He's now "the SDSU player that got off on that rape charge."

If these players are guilty, let'em roast. If they're not, they'll get all the sympathy I can muster because their reputations and good name will still be shot.

Which I thought was sort of...well...dumb.

If both players had still been on Montana State's athletic teams at the time of the alleged crime, Gamble might have a point. But they'd both proven that they were bad apples and kicked off the teams. What more could the coaches do, especially if there was no evidence showing that they were potential troublemakers at the time they were recruited? Does Gamble have reason to believe that the coaches knew something about the character of these two athletes at the time they were recruited?

Those are the questions I'd like answered.

There is probably more to the story. Both players were from large cities (Milwaukee and Ft. Lauderdale). MSUM learned (or should learn) that bringing in gangbangers is a bad idea, no matter how talented they are. This is not a new problem, NDSU had similar problems a few years back (Reggie Scott). Schools like UND and NDSU have always been and are going to be pressured to bring in the best athletes. Sometimes this means bringing in a player who could not cut it at a big time school for whatever reason. If that reason is crime, I would hope the coach does not bring the player into the community. I am suprised the media in Fargo has not taken MSUM to task for bringing a killer into the community. A quick search would have revealed some very disturbing things about this former player's past.

Wow. Star2City posts two articles about neighboring schools who will soon be our opponents in many sports, and does it with no personal comment that attacks either school. Enter Aff - completely defensive response to a post with no offensive comments. Aff, you need to settle down man. You blow up on here all the time and it gets tiresome to read. It's unfortunate that those two incidents happened, and we all know that the coaches at those universities couldn't possibly have known that they would commit those crimes. Nobody ever said otherwise. I hope that never happens at our great institution.

College athletes, professional athletes, entertainers, politicians, and everyone else in the public eye are all somehow suppose to be better than the 'rest of us'.

I totally disagree! I think we've long moved on from the day when we expected athletes, entertainers, and politicians to be role models. I'm not surprised at all when I hear of the latest athlete being arrested for rape or leaping into the stands to start a fight. Nor am I surprised at prima-donnas who expect the world to roll out the carpet for them...people like the pompous Tom Cruise or Madonna herself. And politicians? C'mon.

I totally disagree! I think we've long moved on from the day when we expected athletes, entertainers, and politicians to be role models. I'm not surprised at all when I hear of the latest athlete being arrested for rape or leaping into the stands to start a fight. Nor am I surprised at prima-donnas who expect the world to roll out the carpet for them...people like the pompous Tom Cruise or Madonna herself. And politicians? C'mon.

There are still plenty of people who put the famous on pedestals and believe they can do no wrong.

All those 'in the news people' are people just like the rest of us. They inlude in their fold the same dregs of society that are in the 'common folks' society. Murderers, rapists, perverts, etc. walk in all areas of society yet when we hear that one of the famous has committed a crime/atrocity, many 'common folk' are surprised. Somehow they think 'it can't be true. Famous people are better than the resst of us and aren't capable and don't do heinous things'.