SiouxSports.com Forum

Major Gift to UND tied to Name?

puck

This article in the Illinois Herald & Review Herald & Review has a statement by Ron Guenthar, Illinois Athletic Director, that a large gift to UND is hanging in the balance of the nickname decision. Does anyone know if this is anything more than speculation or incorrect information? I know that rumors of this have been circulating for a long time, but I wonder why the IL AD would believe that it is true?

I read that as meaning REA. Not in the usual Gopher-fan-conspiracy sense (secret explosives will detonate upon a new name being christened), but in that the significant gift (a.k.a. arena) contains thousands of images and references tied to the name. In that sense, it hangs in the balance, because to avoid NCAA restrictions we would need to quit using REA or someone would have to pay for millions of dollars of modifications.

I read that as meaning REA. Not in the usual Gopher-fan-conspiracy sense (secret explosives will detonate upon a new name being christened), but in that the significant gift (a.k.a. arena) contains thousands of images and references tied to the name. In that sense, it hangs in the balance, because to avoid NCAA restrictions we would need to quit using REA or someone would have to pay for millions of dollars of modifications.

I'd guess you're very close given (from June 7, 2006):

We certainly do not believe that we agreed by our membership that