SiouxSports.com Forum

Womens BB

teamsioux

As with most players used to dominating with her inside game at that level, she will have to improve almost everything to play on the wing more(ballhandling,shooting,perimeter defense). She should fit in well as she is very athletic and should be able to run the floor as UND likes to do. It will be interesting to see how she improves over the next year, could develop into a versatile player. Boese-like size and height.

I heard Andrea LaFrance of Bismarck Century is going to commit if she hasn't already. Who are the other players recruited or being recruited in the '07/'08 class?

The top senior player in ND will be Jessica Kielpinski from Mandan, although I have no idea where she's looking in terms of colleges. Her sister is at Alaska-Anchorage, so that could be a possibility if she doesn't go to UND or NDSU. UND hasn't gotten many Mandan players over the years, except Perrizo as a transfer, so I'd be surprised if she goes to UND. I'm guessing Roebuck and Amundson (Mandan's coach) may not be on the best of terms. It seems like quite a coincidence that the top program in ND hasn't sent a player directly to UND during the Roebuck era (to my knowledge, anyway).

I am not implying that Gene signed the Gillett girl for this reason but she has a younger sister that I know we are very interested in. The only other two we were hoping to get to commit are a "girl from Bismarck" and a "girl from Mandan". That probably is LaFrance from Century. Isn't there another very talented girl from Mandan other than Kielpinski?

I am not implying that Gene signed the Gillett girl for this reason but she has a younger sister that I know we are very interested in. The only other two we were hoping to get to commit are a "girl from Bismarck" and a "girl from Mandan". That probably is LaFrance from Century. Isn't there another very talented girl from Mandan other than Kielpinski?

Cassandra Kelsch is another pretty good senior-to-be from Mandan.

The top senior player in ND will be Jessica Kielpinski from Mandan, although I have no idea where she's looking in terms of colleges. Her sister is at Alaska-Anchorage, so that could be a possibility if she doesn't go to UND or NDSU. UND hasn't gotten many Mandan players over the years, except Perrizo as a transfer, so I'd be surprised if she goes to UND. I'm guessing Roebuck and Amundson (Mandan's coach) may not be on the best of terms. It seems like quite a coincidence that the top program in ND hasn't sent a player directly to UND during the Roebuck era (to my knowledge, anyway).

You have to take in consideration Amundson's allegiance resides with NDSU since his daughter went there. Although I hope Gene finally gets a lady out of Mandan, right out of high school.

Tha other Gillett, a cousin, is a junior to be. She has a lot of work to do to be a NCC/DI type post. She would have to work much harder than she has in the past. Not a lot of low post moves, only dominates the boards because of the level she plays at, below average shooter.

Kelsch is no where near the athletic talent and ability it takes to play for the women's program.

I didn't mean to imply that Kelsch was being recruited by UND, or that she should be. She could probably play college ball at some level, however.

As with most players used to dominating with her inside game at that level, she will have to improve almost everything to play on the wing more(ballhandling,shooting,perimeter defense). She should fit in well as she is very athletic and should be able to run the floor as UND likes to do. It will be interesting to see how she improves over the next year, could develop into a versatile player. Boese-like size and height.

She does not have Boese like competiveness....and that is where she will falter....she is ok in high school...and having officiated her...for about ten games....i think i can evaluate her game by saying she is good in HS cuz she is taller and more athletic than most girls...that wont be the case at the next level...and any game that got tough...she folded like a chair...very unlike Boese...whom rose up to a challenge...EVERYTIME!!!

She does not have Boese like competiveness....and that is where she will falter....she is ok in high school...and having officiated her...for about ten games....i think i can evaluate her game by saying she is good in HS cuz she is taller and more athletic than most girls...that wont be the case at the next level...and any game that got tough...she folded like a chair...very unlike Boese...whom rose up to a challenge...EVERYTIME!!!

Yeah, she doesn't seem to have the ability to take over in crunch time. The regionals against Minto-Midway was a perfect example.... she was scared to try and take over, she would rotate the ball around the perimeter instead of trying to create anything late in the game. Long ways to go to be a solid player, but the ability is there.

Tha other Gillett, a cousin, is a junior to be. She has a lot of work to do to be a NCC/DI type post. She would have to work much harder than she has in the past. Not a lot of low post moves, only dominates the boards because of the level she plays at, below average shooter.

When did the NCC go DI?

It's official, LaFrance committed -- in the herald today. She's going to bring a lot of athletic talent. All-stater in three sports (she quit soccer as a junior to concentrate on bb even though she was a 1st team all-stater as a soph). Amazing athlete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Gillett play in a couple of AAU tournments a group I'm part put on this year. I thought she was the best player on her team which is made up of mostly class B players from eastern ND. She was playing down low the whole time which it sounds like she won't be doing at UND.

The player I've seen now for two years who I think is going to be a good player is Amber Wollschlager from Millbank, SD. Her team beat Gillet's in a tournament we ran earlier this summer with both players leading their respective team in scoring. Wollschlager reminds me of Boese given her play inside plus she can step out and hit the 3. As a sophomore, she lead her team to a 3rd place finish last year while nearly averaging a double-double and was a 2nd team all state selection. Unfortunately, I don't know if there'd be much of a chance to get her away from either of the SD schools.