SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice at the Ralph

dickgraham

A lot of talk about the main ice at The Ralph is not where CB wants it to be. Players have said that the ice in the olympic rink is better than the main arena ice. I recently heard an interview on KFAN radio that PA and Dubay had with the radio play by play guy for the Vancouver NHL hockey team. They asked him what's it like being the only show in town now that the NBA Grizzlies have left for Memphis? He made the comment that big difference is that the without the Grizzlies in the same building the Canucks now have the best ice in the NHL. There is no doubt that putting insulation down and the basketball floor or other flooring for bb games, concerts etc makes for slower, slushier ice. As long as the Ralph will continue to be a multi pupose facility, which it has to be, it will not have great ice.

DG

Actually I sat down by the glass for a couple of games this season and I thought the ice looked pretty good compared to lets say the Target Center ice. We will see, we only have a couple of three weekends left to use the ice, I suppose they will fix it and make it better for next season.

I believe the ice temp is around 20 to 25 degrees. They would like it at about 10 degrees. For some reason, the refrigerant in the lines is not capable of getting it any cooler. I'm not sure if it's contaminated or what the deal is, but I was told it has to be replaced. But the company that is responsible has been reluctant to do it because it is very costly. They have pretty much eliminated every other potential cause, so it will most likely be replaced after the season is over.

I'm wondering why, if we can't get the temp down on the ice, the first Zamboni on the ice is always the last off the ice. He makes an extra trip around the ice just to get a spot that's 6 inches wide and a foot long. It seems like he is just dropping a lot of extra water for no reason, except that he wants to be the last one off the ice. I don't want to cause hard feelings because he has been around a long time and maybe it doesn't matter, but I see alot of extra water on the ice.

I'm wondering why, if we can't get the temp down on the ice, the first Zamboni on the ice is always the last off the ice. He makes an extra trip around the ice just to get a spot that's 6 inches wide and a foot long. It seems like he is just dropping a lot of extra water for no reason, except that he wants to be the last one off the ice. I don't want to cause hard feelings because he has been around a long time and maybe it doesn't matter, but I see alot of extra water on the ice.

I always thought that was just a matter of how they store the zambonis. If one zamboni is stored in front of the other, then it would be the first one on the ice, and the last one off the ice. I highly doubt it's a case of being the #1 zamboni driver and wanting to have the most ice time. :) Of course, I could be wrong.