SiouxSports.com Forum

How fast?

Shani Davis, (probably one of the world's fastest skaters), did 1500 meters (1.0729 miles) in 1 minute and 42.68 seconds back in March. Do the math and he averaged close to 37.6 mph for the entire mile. I would say for a 9-10 year old to do 39 mph for any period of time would be quite phenomenal. We'll have to have Hakstol keep an eye on him!

The entire body 39 MPH is unlikely, however if you just got the legs with the gun, which have to move in a somewhat different direction, it might be possible. Either way, the kid was not moving at that speed. :D

Sorry, that's what my son told me on the phone. When I got home, upon further investigation, he was talking about the speed of their WRIST SHOT. I agree with REDNEKSIOUX's math, but that also includes a few corners and the 1500 is not a sprint, I bet 40-45 is realistic for a sprint.

Sorry, that's what my son told me on the phone. When I got home, upon further investigation, he was talking about the speed of their WRIST SHOT. I agree with REDNEKSIOUX's math, but that also includes a few corners and the 1500 is not a sprint, I bet 40-45 is realistic for a sprint.

Agreed.

I distinctly remember an article I read (way back when) about Bobby Hull. His wrist shot was timed at 116mph, and his slapshot SLOWER at around 110mph. The most interesting thing I remember is that he was timed skating at 25mph. Hull was considered to be one of the fastest skaters in the 60's (if not THE fastest).

Cournoyer was fast, but not 50mph!