SiouxSports.com Forum

Willam & Mary makes NCAA list

PCM

From the Hampton Roads (VA) Daily Press:

W&M alumni blast ruling

The NCAA's decision on the Tribe name and school logo doesn't make sense, they say.

William and Mary alumni weighed in Wednesday on the NCAA's decision allowing the school to keep the "Tribe" nickname but not the green-and-gold feathers on the "W&M" logo. Their reaction: ridiculous.
"Where is the fairness?" asked Bud Porter, a 1962 W&M graduate and former Tribe football player. "How can the NCAA allow an Indian with a flaming spear and war paint to ride around on a horse at Florida State and we can't have two feathers?"

From the Hampton Roads (VA) Daily Press:

Feather-brained

On the W&M logo, the NCAA's logic and priorities are flawed

Oh, spare us.

With all the NCAA has to deal with, it's worried about feathers.

Consistency doesn't seem to be an issue with the NCAA, either, since the Florida State Seminoles won approval of its mascot, a brave in war paint; it also uses tomahawks and a cheer called the "war chant." Now we're talking stereotypes.

It's all part of the NCAA's ill-managed examination of team nicknames, mascots and insignia with Indian references. It ruled that teams with any insignia that it deemed offensive couldn't host post-season tournaments or bring uniforms, bands, mascots, cheerleaders or paraphernalia with such insignia to tournaments.

It's like putting pepper in the eye of a wounded elephant: It has the effect, or possibly the purpose, of distracting from the real pain that pervades college athletics. Like the athletes - and coaches - gone wild from the University of Colorado to Virginia Tech to Duke, to mention just a few.

But William and Mary had to waste a lot of time and energy on a self-study of its nickname. When it could and should have been spending that time and energy on issues related to its mission: the education and development of young men and women. When it could and should be dealing with matters more important than what's drawn on the cup you get at the concession stand.

Spare us.

Where did this come from? The Myles Brand Institute of Anally Derived Statistics? :);)

Myles has probably been talking to Phil Jackson recently. If it's 1% opposed, not a big deal, but if 5 or 10% want something changed, the other 95% or 90% should feel obligated to change their mind.

We live in a world gone mad.

• 4 weeks later...
What the hell does "fighting" have to do with making something hostile or abusive? I think our guys are smarter than their guys.

I think it's just a way of pointing a finger and saying, "Well, at least we're not as bad as them!"

UND is doing the same thing with Florida State.

Here's a summary of William & Mary's appeal to the NCAA. Although W&M does use the "we're not as bad as other schools" defense, many of the points it makes in its appeal are similar to those made by UND. Here's my favorite part:

Well-intentioned policies pursued in a mindless fashion that allows for no exceptions

The following is an example of a constant sentiment from many different factions. I wonder if FSU is going to say something in it's defense or because they have an exemption from the rules, just let it ride?

http://www.wm.edu/news/?id=5972

.....embracing the depiction of a brave on horseback, in war paint, plunging a flaming spear into the turf at midfield, to the delight of 85,000 chanting, tomahawking fans, is, at best, enigmatic.

I think it's just a way of pointing a finger and saying, "Well, at least we're not as bad as them!"

UND is doing the same thing with Florida State.

Yes, but in UND's case the point was made BECAUSE FSU has received an exemption. I find W&M's effort to drag UND into their response rather mealy-mouthed as UND has received no such exemption.

Yes, but in UND's case the point was made BECAUSE FSU has received an exemption. I find W&M's effort to drag UND into their response rather mealy-mouthed as UND has received no such exemption.

I understand that, but I doubt that FSU appreciates all the schools that didn't get waivers pointing at it and saying, "How come they get to be bad and we don't?"

Tom Dennis, opinion writer for the GF Herald comments in his blog Prairie Pundit

Although he wholeheartily supports Mike Jacobs 2 year "cooling off" period he seems to now realize that the NCAA is on shaky legal ground and a UND win would be the ultimate loss for nickname opponents.

UND might just win this thing in court. It has a case against the NCAA, as attorney general Wayne Stenehjem declared and the William and Mary appeal document essentially confirms.

And if UND wins in court, then the nickname will be etched in the university's "cultural granite" as deeply as it is in the Engelstad Arena's flooring and walls. The situtaion will not be "status quo ante," meaning as it was before the NCAA's action. Instead, UND will have emerged triumphant from a risky and expensive battle with a powerful national organization.

I'd guess that such a victory would cement the nickname at UND for decades to come.

Pres. Kupchella said on the radio with Scott Hennan today that William & Mary has joined UND in the lawsuit against the NCAA.

Interesting....

Careful. Scott said a number of things that weren't accurate. I think this is one of them.

Agreed, I made a mistake on how I posted that, and then changed my original post to be more accurate. Thanks.

I think Scott got William & Mary's NCAA appeal confused with UND's lawsuit. Maybe the fact that the appeal was written by W&M's Chancellor Professor of Law and Coordinator of Legal Affairs caused further confusion.