SiouxSports.com Forum

Division I

UND Fan

As many of you may remember from earlier posts, I have been against UND's move to Division I. I felt the cost and Grand Fork's geography would prohibit us from being competitive in DI. Over the last few months, I have given a great deal of thought to this and talked to a lot of people around the country and in North Dakota and NW Minnesota (as well as many within UND's Athletic Department). I now am a strong advocate of the move.

The following are excerpts from a letter recently written to Dr. Kupchella. My guess is that he will elect not to make the move - feeling that it isn't fair to the President following him to saddle him with the challenges of the move.

While Kupchella may have already made his decision, I would recommend that those of you who are proponents of the move contact him via letter or e-mail in the next few days and give him your thoughts.

My letter......

Dear Dr. Kupchella:

Until recently, I was either

A good letter, but a Div 1 NCC is not a viable option. The waiting period for a new conference to get an automatic bid in any sport is at least 13 years. It would make more sense to remain an independent and wait for an opening in an established conference.

A good letter, but a Div 1 NCC is not a viable option. The waiting period for a new conference to get an automatic bid in any sport is at least 13 years. It would make more sense to remain an independent and wait for an opening in an established conference.

You make a very good point. If I could "waive the wand", we would have the two SUs, UND, USD, UNO and maybe another school making up one division of an existing conference. I fully realize that it is extremely unlikely. However, it certainly would help contain costs, maintain current rivalries, assist with scheduling, etc.

As many of you may remember from earlier posts, I have been against UND's move to Division I. I felt the cost and Grand Fork's geography would prohibit us from being competitive in DI. Over the last few months, I have given a great deal of thought to this and talked to a lot of people around the country and in North Dakota and NW Minnesota (as well as many within UND's Athletic Department). I now am a strong advocate of the move.

The following are excerpts from a letter recently written to Dr. Kupchella. My guess is that he will elect not to make the move - feeling that it isn't fair to the President following him to saddle him with the challenges of the move.

While Kupchella may have already made his decision, I would recommend that those of you who are proponents of the move contact him via letter or e-mail in the next few days and give him your thoughts.

My letter......

Dear Dr. Kupchella:

Until recently, I was either