SiouxSports.com Forum

Wanless

SacRat

I know Terry quite well. His biggest problem at UND was that he wasn't "one of the guys". Terry is quite religious and doesn't drink. As you know, most ADs attempt to be out with the troops having a good time, etc. He followed Gino Gasparini and Carl Miller who were masters at "working the crowd". That combined with the firing of Gino which was unpopular but necessary and the logo issue with Engelstad caused him a great deal of problems. He did not handle these issues well from a PR perspective. He also combined various booster groups, including Sioux Boosters, into one entity - the Fighting Sioux Club. This was absolutely necessary and has proved to be very successful - but it was not popular!

Terry is a great administrator. Under him, facilities improved, graduation rates and GPAs improved and we had a great deal of success.

Believe me, despite some faults, UND is much better off due to Wanless' contributions. He took a Department that wasn't as strong administratively under Gino as it could have been. When he left, Roger Thomas' transition into the AD position was made much easier because of the good job Terry had done putting the Department together. I believe Roger would be the first one to admit this as his administrative background was limited.

He will do a great job for you. You will have a clean, well-run operation and, hopefully, he will be able to raise enough money to be successful!

Well said DMB.

Wanless, to his immense credit, does not seem to harbor any ill will towards UND (at least publicly). I would like to believe that he is comfortable with his legacy - he had a large part in creating one of the finest athletic departments in all of D2.