SiouxSports.com Forum

Division I

UND Fan

A necessity in UND making a successful move to DI would be an increase in student fees. Am I correct that the amount of student fees that go to UND athletics is only $50 per semester? I know it is tremendously lower than most schools (DI or DII). There was just a post in one of these forums that quoted the student fees at other lower level DI schools. They were very high.

A question to current UND students and those who have recently graduated:

Do you think the student population would agree to increasing student fees to assist in the funding of a move to DI?

Let's not turn this into a debate of all sorts of DI pros and cons. Let's just hear what you think UND students would do if asked to raise their student fees. Include the basis for your thoughts.

While I'm sure there are some in the student body that would push for raising fees just because being DI is something they'd believe in, I don't think many students are happy with the rate tuition has gone up the last few years (a 9% increase just for heating?!).

My guess is student body would raise fees, but only slightly ($25-50).

This is an article giving some data what students are paying at various DI schools:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...PORTS/603300460

Here's a database where you can look at the budgets of various DI schools:

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/

Poke around that database a while and you can find out data by source (like student fees), conference, school, whatever. It's pretty good.

Just my personal opinion as a student I wouldn't mind paying an increased athletic fee to fund a Division I move. I dont' know how it will go over with the rest of the student body since we're going through a time where more and more costs are being lumped on students. I wouldn't mind paying this fee since it goes to something I appreciate and get something out of compared to some of the other fees (ex. ConnectND) which seem like gigantic wastes of money.

And like it or not, the price of energy is directly tied to the price of oil. When oil prices go up, all energy costs go up.

Yeah I know. It's just frustrating considering how underfunded salaries and some departments are. It's a good thing it was a mild winter or we'd be looking at 12-15% increase :lol: