SiouxSports.com Forum

No DI, no Lennon?

bincitysioux

Jeff Kolpack posted this in his Bison Media Blog over a week ago, regarding Bollinger's exodus.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

And if UND doesn't make significant strides in moving its entire program to D-I, look for football coach Dale Lennon to look elsewhere.

Could there be any truth to this, or is Kolpack just blowing smoke? I know Lennon just signed an extension last fall, but I'm sure there are few DII coaches more attractive than Dale right now.

Jeff Kolpack posted this in his Bison Media Blog over a week ago, regarding Bollinger's exodus.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Could there be any truth to this, or is Kolpack just blowing smoke? I know Lennon just signed an extension last fall, but I'm sure there are few DII coaches more attractive than Dale right now.

I doubt Kolpack did a lot of research on this. I don't believe Rob's departure had anything to do with whether UND is or is not going dI. IF UND doesn't go dI within a few years, then yes, Lennon would quite possibly look at other opportunities. But the signs all still seem to be pointing towards a dI move.

I doubt Kolpack did a lot of research on this. I don't believe Rob's departure had anything to do with whether UND is or is not going dI. IF UND doesn't go dI within a few years, then yes, Lennon would quite possibly look at other opportunities. But the signs all still seem to be pointing towards a dI move.

Kolpack is blowing smoke, IMO. Why would Lennon have signed a long-term contract for the first time if he didn't have confidence in the future of the program? The DI move is happening, a football practice facility will be built, and Lennon will honor his contract.

As an outsider, ny guess is that Lennon is getting restless. Sure, he kicks ass as a D2 coach, but if he has any career aspirations his time at UND is running short, contract or not. Face it, coaches dishonor contracts on a daily basis these days. It all boils down to who can/cannot afford said coach and who is willing to buy out such a contract. Wanless wanted him at Sac State a couple yrs back and the only reason Dale didn't take the offer is because Sac State has !@#!$ facilities and Z E R O commitment to the FB program. Dale was smart to stay at UND. Don't expect that to last forever. If UND doesn't go DI, Dale is gone within 2 yrs.

Dale bleeds green and would love to stay but....

-- while I think he knows a move to DI may not be best the for other UND athletic teams, he would definitely like the challenge of leading our FB into IAA.

-- we went head-to-head with NDSU on nine recruits that both teams really wanted. We went 0 or 9 - SU got them all! Dale (nor the rest of us) is not used to losing recruiting battles with SU. Not that we always got who we wanted, but we got our share. This is very frustrating for the staff.

-- if offered another $75-100,000 with the possibility of additional bonuses/incentives on top of that, you absolutely couldn't blame him for moving up to a IAA job or possibly an assistant at a big time DI school.

-- most long term coaching contracts have "outs" in them allowing the coach to move on if certain other opportunities arise. I am sure that is the case with Dale's contract.

-- All that being said, I am sure the Kolpack was just "stirring the pot". I am sure he doesn't have any inside information.