SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella outlines efforts with tribes

PCM

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

VIEWPOINT: With tribal leaders, UND tries to turn 'them,' 'us' to 'we'

We believe that the NCAA is completely out of bounds in having promulgated its ill-conceived policy on nicknames in the first place, and that it has applied the policy arbitrarily and capriciously.
A worthy objective, it seems to me, is to establish more solidarity between UND and the Sioux tribes in our state and beyond to create more of an atmosphere of "we."

Within the past few weeks, we have hosted visits to the campus by members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council and the entire Spirit Lake Sioux Tribal Council. We described our American Indian programs and talked about how we would like to do even more.

The council members asked questions about our policies and practices. We assured them that we have long had, and enforced, a zero-tolerance policy on harassment. They acknowledged that it is not possible to eliminate all bad behavior, but indicated that they expected us to deal with it firmly and directly.

Some of our discussion had to do with the under-representation of Sioux students in our American Indian student population. We talked about ways of correcting this. As a result of these discussions, I indicated that we will work to establish a scholarship endowment for students from the Sioux tribes in our state and possibly other Sioux tribes.

We also discussed how UND might help in other ways, patterned after its highly successful "Indians Into Medicine" program, to ensure that students coming to UND from tribal high schools and tribal colleges will be even more likely to succeed.

These discussions were seen as only the beginning. Some follow-up discussions are ongoing and meetings with other tribal groups are being scheduled, with the help of many good people who see that establishing solidarity is the right way to go.

Many tribes (Utes, Seminoles, Chippewas) including our own Spirit Lake Nation have given formal support to the use of their names and imagery to schools like ours. Thus, we know it can be done. For a long time, we had the support of the Standing Rock tribe. We should be able to achieve it again.

Most if not all external opposition to the use of nicknames and imagery including that of the NCAA seems to hinge on opposition or support of namesake tribes. If we can earn broad tribal support, most if not all other opposition should end.

There's also a news story by David Dodds in today's Herald:

UND seeks solidarity with tribes

Kupchella says more dialogue could help end name opposition

The Spirit Lake Nation formally offered a resolution of support for UND's nickname and logo in 2000, but it included conditions. Kupchella said that Spirit Lake tribal leaders recently told him that they have no intention of rescinding that resolution.

In the past few weeks, Kupchella has hosted members of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council and the entire Spirit Lake council. He writes in today's guest editorial that the meetings have led to talks of possible new initiatives, including the creation of a "primer" on American Indian culture for student athletes and visits by school athletes to reservations.

Also, Kupchella indicates that he will work to establish a scholarship endowment for students from Sioux tribes, which currently are underrepresented on the UND campus.

Leigh Jeanotte, director of UND's American Indian Student Services and a supporter of getting rid of the nickname, said that he knows very little of the efforts spelled out in the Kupchella's article.

"At this time, I am unable to comment," Jeanotte said. "Neither myself, the staff or the American Indian Student Services, nor the 31 Indian related programs on campus have been consulted or asked to participate in the organization of these efforts to justify the continued use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo."

Edited by PCM

This is very good. Sounds like UND is making great efforts to do good things. Good for Kupchella, and good for the Tribes who are willing to see what good can come of this.

If this is successul in the long run, it will a very postive outcome. I will only regret that the NCAA will take slap their own backs for it.

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

Is Jeanotte's comment meant to imply that "myself, the staff or the American Indian Student Services, ... the 31 Indian related programs on campus" have to approve of the relationship between UND and the Sioux/Indian tribes of North Dakota? Geeze! :)

Bravo, President Kupchella, Bravo!

Good, I'm glad to see both sides are being reasonable and at least trying to come to an agreement. :) While the university has does have some great native american programs, I think UND hasn't done it's best in developing a real relationship with the tribes, a la Florida State. The new ideas sounds good in raising cultural awareness, regardless of what happens to the logo.

Good, I'm glad to see both sides are being reasonable and at least trying to come to an agreement. :) While the university has does have some great native american programs, I think UND hasn't done it's best in developing a real relationship with the tribes, a la Florida State. The new ideas sounds good in raising cultural awareness, regardless of what happens to the logo.

Should have happened years ago but good progress...despite what certain other posters think (gk!) There is room for compromise on this issue that will benefit both sides.

If the Spirit Lake delegation can attend a UND/Gopher series and come away without any major complaints - we're halfway home!

Is Jeanotte's comment meant to imply that "myself, the staff or the American Indian Student Services, ... the 31 Indian related programs on campus" have to approve of the relationship between UND and the Sioux/Indian tribes of North Dakota? Geeze! :)

Bravo, President Kupchella, Bravo!

Hmmm.... thats a rather high opinion of himself. :silly::D

Hmmm.... thats a rather high opinion of himself. :):silly:

One thing I have learned about the pro-name change crowd there is nothing that they will agree to except the name being changed period. End of discussion. In fact there is no discussion. So I really think Charles is doing a good job by meeting the tribes and keeping an on going dialog with them. I think this should have been done a long time ago but I give him credit for trying.