SiouxSports.com Forum

Puzzled & Troubled

deedub

I might be all wrong but of all the early departure prospects it seems to me Smaby would leave the biggest void.

Smaby will leave a very similar void to that left by Greene this year. With Greene on this team anchoring the D, I would say we would have at least 3-4 more wins. With his size and experience he would have been playing in many of the key times in games that have been left for Freshman this year. I sure hope Jake Marto is ready as he will be depended on to play regularly next year, especially with the uncertain future of Bina.

You're just a huge ball of sunshine aren't you. I bet you were pissed off at the team and questioning leadership back in '87 when they lost a couple games.

Greene is a ROOKIE on a defense-laden team. Oh, no, he's only played 16 games this year. He must be the worst defensemen ever. Why isn't he playing with pronger on the first d-pair? You seem to have a short memory. Greene took a lot more bad-timing penalties last year, but changed when it started to go down the stretch. I think I've seen a change in Smaby's play over the past couple weeks. He's hitting guys like he knows how to, he's staying out of the box, and he's playing solid defensively. I think a lot of people put too much pressure on the Captain position. I think he's doing his job and is playing well. Well enough to be a 6/7 D-man in the NHL. Hopefully, he Tampa doesn't think so, because despite your harping on him, I'd love to have him back next year. In a year where we don't have the fearsome D-Corps we had last year, Smaby is the big mofo that will light you up if you try to come into the zone. That's the epitome of Sioux Hockey right there.

Smaby hasn't taken that many penalties lately. If you want ill timed penalties, you'd have to be talking about Zach Jones.

As for what you say, DAR, actually Hockeysfuture would disagree with you. He's projected to be a 3rd/4th defenseman not a 6/7 defenseman like you say.

shep- I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think you're wrong though. I don't expect offense out of Smaby at all. The fact that he's trying and often leading the team at times in SOG in a period is darn impressive and speaks VOLUMES about his leadership. I mean, why would a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN try so hard to get shots on net if he has other players who are better at it? He knows he is supposed to lead by example and I believe he's trying as hard as he can to lead the team on the offensive side of the rink.

You're the first person I've read that thought Smaby's play this year and last year was suspect. Clement and Thorne of ESPN disagreed. There were some on this board (not including me) who actually thought Smaby outplayed Greene late last season. Whatever. Go pine for Dave Tippett. Unlike you, I have faith in Matt Smaby. I did since the first day he donned a Sioux jersey. I will not change my outlook at all. Stubborn? Maybe, but I guess I'm just looking at a player who is playing well instead of watching a player waiting for him to screw up.

Would I agree with Greene's ability to stick in the NHL because he's a better defenseman than Smaby? Nope. I believe that Greene and Smaby will both stick in the NHL because they are BOTH good defensemen and defensemen who can open ice check players in the days where speed is becoming a factor are going to be VERY MUCH in demand. Good thing that's Smaby's strength... oh wait. YOu probably didn't notice that because you wait for him to take a penalty before making a judgement. :)

Red

As usual we will have to agree to disagree.

Compared to your sunny optimism that I find overly exuberant ("Chorney as Lidstrom" may have set me over the edge) I sound like I'm always dim on the Sioux, but I just don't automatically think they are all doing great now and that they all will be NHL all stars later that's all.

I don't think that Smaby has the speed to keep up in the new no touch NHL, but time will tell.

I also don't have a definintion for leadership but you are right, I am pining for the Dave Tippett days, and to answer someone above, no I didn't get upset when that team lost because I knew they were playing hard every game and didn't take shifts off.

I'm sure the Chorney as Lidstrom comparison did set you off. I know because you left out the words I used such as "potential to be" and replaced it with "will be" or "as."

I never said he WILL be like Lidstrom. I said he has the POTENTIAL to be. There's a big difference.