SiouxSports.com Forum

I'm Sorry.

Sean Connery

Yeesh.

What an ironic story from the 'genius' Virg.

While NDSU is still basking in it's glory of what no doubt is a huge upset all across the nation in basketball with an extremely young team (youngest team in all of D1 btw), Virg is reaching all the way back and living in 1948, and in a sport which is by far second rate all across the nation to basketball.

Somebody please tell Virg to stop writing anything at all about NDSU, because it just makes us look worse.

NDSU had a great win and should by all means be happy. I wish we (and I'm specifically speaking about poeple that reach out to the community) would just let it go. Who cares what happened in 1948.

Yeesh.

What an ironic story from the 'genius' Virg.

While NDSU is still basking in it's glory of what no doubt is a huge upset all across the nation in basketball with an extremely young team (youngest team in all of D1 btw), Virg is reaching all the way back and living in 1948, and in a sport which is by far second rate all across the nation to basketball.

Somebody please tell Virg to stop writing anything at all about NDSU, because it just makes us look worse.

NDSU had a great win and should by all means be happy. I wish we (and I'm specifically speaking about poeple that reach out to the community) would just let it go. Who cares what happened in 1948.

Eesh...Let by gones be by gones, or something to that effect. You get my drift. See the funny part about your reply is you could write a letter to your sports guru in Fargo, Mike Mcfeeley, and tell him to quit commenting on UND-related items: UND hockey, football, and the logo. Because whenever he writes anything about UND, it just makes us look worse.

I also think you would have a hard time convincing people that live in the northern part of this great country that hockey is second-fiddle to basketball. I would hope basketball would be a more popular, for the simple fact that you can play basketball in any climate, any time. Hockey on the other, usually involves colder-weather climates, which you can see why the NCAA doesn't have very many school south of Nebraska playing hockey competitively. It's just 2 different worlds if you ask me. That's what makes it great.

I think you could have also re-thought your last comment, "who cares what happend in 1948." Because the same could be said, but just change the year: Who cares what happend in 2006. Because the simple fact that has been pointed out by people in Grand Forks, Fargo, and anywhere else that has a clue about sports, knows that it doesn't matter who you beat one time on that certain night. It's a matter of what you do with it. That game against Michigan in 1948 could have potentially been the start of a great program here at UND. Who are we to know? We'll see what NDSU does in the future after their big win against Wisconsin. But if they haven't beaten another quality team in the next 2-3 years, no one is going to remember that great day in 2006 when NDSU was on top of the Division 1 Basketball world.

Eesh...Let by gones be by gones, or something to that effect. You get my drift. See the funny part about your reply is you could write a letter to your sports guru in Fargo, Mike Mcfeeley, and tell him to quit commenting on UND-related items: UND hockey, football, and the logo. Because whenever he writes anything about UND, it just makes us look worse.

That's what I'm talking about. And as far as McFeeley goes, he get's just as much, if not more shots in on the Bison then we do, so I don't even need to go there. McFeeley is an MSU grad froom what I understand, and detests everything related to the NCC, Sioux, and Bison. He'll even go so far as to throw jabs at when in light of the other, and he's done it both ways.

I also think you would have a hard time convincing people that live in the northern part of this great country that hockey is second-fiddle to basketball. I would hope basketball would be a more popular, for the simple fact that you can play basketball in any climate, any time. Hockey on the other, usually involves colder-weather climates, which you can see why the NCAA doesn't have very many school south of Nebraska playing hockey competitively. It's just 2 different worlds if you ask me. That's what makes it great.
I totally agree. If I may generalize, basketball is irrelevant to hockey fans and vice versa. It's too bad 2/3's if not more of the population are basketball fans. Kind of brings everything into perspective as far as I'm concerned.

I think you could have also re-thought your last comment, "who cares what happend in 1948." Because the same could be said, but just change the year: Who cares what happend in 2006. Because the simple fact that has been pointed out by people in Grand Forks, Fargo, and anywhere else that has a clue about sports, knows that it doesn't matter who you beat one time on that certain night. It's a matter of what you do with it. That game against Michigan in 1948 could have potentially been the start of a great program here at UND. Who are we to know? We'll see what NDSU does in the future after their big win against Wisconsin. But if they haven't beaten another quality team in the next 2-3 years, no one is going to remember that great day in 2006 when NDSU was on top of the Division 1 Basketball world.

Everyone in the Big10 knows, and will remember that victory for a long long time. And no you can't just "change the years". How many people were alive in 1948?

I'm proud of what the hockey program has accomplished for sure. How can you not be? But I'll be honest. I'm not a hockey fan. I'm a sioux hockey fan but I could care less about the sport in general.

I'm as big a Sioux fan as they come and I can't stand the Bison, but the article by Foss was a piece of crap and made UND fans sound like jealous whiners. Personally I'd much rather watch a D-I basketball or a Sioux basketball game for that matter than a Sioux hockey game. Nothing against hockey but that's just what I find more enjoyable. The other fact is that the Bison win over Wisconsin got more media attention on that day then any of our hockey titles. I'm not saying that it should have, but almost 2/3's of the country could care less about hockey.

I'm as big a Sioux fan as they come and I can't stand the Bison, but the article by Foss was a piece of crap and made UND fans sound like jealous whiners. Personally I'd much rather watch a D-I basketball or a Sioux basketball game for that matter than a Sioux hockey game. Nothing against hockey but that's just what I find more enjoyable. The other fact is that the Bison win over Wisconsin got more media attention on that day then any of our hockey titles. I'm not saying that it should have, but almost 2/3's of the country could care less about hockey.

Amen. I'm a huge Sioux fan, but all of this talk from UND fans trying to trivialize what the NDSU basketball team did is just sad. Old Virg sounds like a jerk in this article, and by extension makes UND fans look like jealous whiners as dlsiouxfan said.

When UND moves up (hopefully soon), I imagine all of the nay-sayers that like making fun of NDSU will suddenly think the move is the greatest thing ever. If the Sioux men had beaten Wisconsin in basketball, would Virg have pointed out that hockey has been DI for 60 years and the basketball win was no big deal? I think not.

UND has plenty to be proud of, but if I was a Bison fan, I'd get a huge kick out of Sioux fans constantly referencing the Bison. Let's face it, they didn't "run away from UND" as some fans on here would have you believe. They made the right decision for them, and one UND should and probably will make soon. For a school we don't care about, we seem to be interested in every move they make.

Everyone in the Big10 knows, and will remember that victory for a long long time. And no you can't just "change the years". How many people were alive in 1948?

I'm proud of what the hockey program has accomplished for sure. How can you not be? But I'll be honest. I'm not a hockey fan. I'm a sioux hockey fan but I could care less about the sport in general.

It shouldn't matter how many people were alive in 1948....The fact of the matter was that UND, an unknown in the world of college hockey, beat a "powerhouse" school like Michigan. Same rules that you applied for your statement applies to mine. Everyone in this area, and in the world of college hockey, knew the day that UND beat Michigan for the first time. Just because technology has advanced light years since then doesn't make the victory any less important for a program trying to make a name for itself. It still comes back to the fact that What will NDSU do after this victory to make a name for itself? UND followed up that victory by winning a national championship in 1959. Can anyone see NDSU making a "comparable" splash in the Big Dance within the next 11 years? I would consider making the big dance about equal to UND winning the National Championship. But that's just me.

It's tough to get my point across, or to make someone like you who is not a "true" hockey fan I guess. Not a knock on you by any means, but I follow both sports religiously since I played basketball through high school and have followed hockey since I was 5. Maybe that's just what makes us different.

Lose to Mayville State this weekend.

*runs away*

:lol:

I'll be at this game. Since I live in Mayville I am going with some friends that go to MSU. It sounds like there is going to be a big following of Comet fans there, hoping for another win over one of the "BIG" schools.

:lol:

I'll be at this game. Since I live in Mayville I am going with some friends that go to MSU. It sounds like there is going to be a big following of Comet fans there, hoping for another win over one of the "BIG" schools.

They're having a great season, it really wouldn't shock me.........

The funny thing was that there were just as many Mayville State fans at the game last night as there were bison fans. At one point the AC student section started chanting "bison rejects..." The large amount of MSU fans there quickly responded with "Sioux rejects..." It sure made me smile :)

The funny thing was that there were just as many Mayville State fans at the game last night as there were bison fans. At one point the AC student section started chanting "bison rejects..." The large amount of MSU fans there quickly responded with "Sioux rejects..." It sure made me smile :)

:silly: classic still laughing over here.

:silly::D