SiouxSports.com Forum

Sparky is a 21st Century JIM ARCHIBALD!

SiouxMeNow

I think this will be the moment in time when the team comes together because they start to stand up for each other on the ice. This incident may be just what the team needed to start playing as a team. My $0.02 worth.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That DQ for Spirko is a travesty. All they were doing was wrestling. If that.

I was expecting Oshie to take a DQ over Sparky, but Oshie was too strong on his skates

to go to the ice. Spirko is strong on his skates as well, but after the cheap hit that he took, he couldn't help but go to the ice.

The really sad thing about the whole thing is that, at least as far as I can tell, Spirko has relatives in

town from the Old Country to watch a couple of Sioux games. If they are planning to stay through next weekend, they will miss seeing their boy sport his wares on Friday night. All because Zelkin is a bonehead.

My understanding is that his folks were here for the Mankato games and were going to stay and see the St. Cloud series as well. I thought the disqualification was not warranted, but what do you expect with the refs we get in the WCHA. Radke should have and was disqualified, other than that the only other Sioux player I thought might get tossed was TJ. I think Zelkin and company did a poor job in sorting the penalties and generally had a pathetic w/e in controlling the games. Mankato is a cheap team and for that I blame Jutting. Also, I was not impressed with the goalie, seems like he never controlled the first shot.

My understanding is that his folks were here for the Mankato games and were going to stay and see the St. Cloud series as well. I thought the disqualification was not warranted, but what do you expect with the refs we get in the WCHA. Radke should have and was disqualified, other than that the only other Sioux player I thought might get tossed was TJ. I think Zelkin and company did a poor job in sorting the penalties and generally had a pathetic w/e in controlling the games. Mankato is a cheap team and for that I blame Jutting. Also, I was not impressed with the goalie, seems like he never controlled the first shot.

Mankato's playing style isn't Zelkin's fault. I had my doubts about Spirko's DQ until I was told that Spirko actually threw punches. If Radke and Spirko hadn't thrown punches, I wonder if they would have been DQ'd.

It's difficult to keep control of the game when you have 4 different scrums going on simultaneously and it takes usually two officials to seperate ONE scrum.

I look back at the UW series to see what Zelkin can do when he wants to be part of the headlines. This time around, he may have made some mistakes both nights, but they were the mistakes of a human kind, not of a consistency nature. So, I think he did a pretty good job all things considered.

Mankato's playing style isn't Zelkin's fault. I had my doubts about Spirko's DQ until I was told that Spirko actually threw punches. If Radke and Spirko hadn't thrown punches, I wonder if they would have been DQ'd.

It's difficult to keep control of the game when you have 4 different scrums going on simultaneously and it takes usually two officials to seperate ONE scrum.

I look back at the UW series to see what Zelkin can do when he wants to be part of the headlines. This time around, he may have made some mistakes both nights, but they were the mistakes of a human kind, not of a consistency nature. So, I think he did a pretty good job all things considered.

I don't think Zelkin controlled the games at all. Friday night, in the 2nd period (I think) there was a skirmish among a number of players and then someone from Mankato took a run a Smaby and cross-checked him from behind. Out of all this there was only one 2-min penalty called on the Mankato player who hit Smaby. At a minimum that should have been a double minor or major penalty, extreme cheap shot. Jones then got a 10-min misconduct for going by the penalty box and slapping his stick on the glass.

I think that set the tone for the rest of the series - go ahead and play cheap, not much cost penalty-wise.

Hopefully that incident was filed away for future payback.