SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Night Game Thread

JESUS,family,rutgers

Still waiting for an example of my supposed gloating. And if disagreeing about the refereeing (unheard amongst sports fans, eh?) being supposed biased this weekend is "garbage" in your eyes I suggest you get some thicker skin.

Admin, please add a "dufus" section to go with the "ignored" section on this board :0

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Sioux fans are complaining about the Gopher goal that should have been dissallowed and the Sioux goal that should have been allowed. On the Gopher goal Stoa was in the crease but when Did he interfere with Parise? Under the rule he is allowed to be in the crease maybe the Sioux D-Man should have muscled him out. They didn't seem to have a problem last year with Green pushing Forwards away from the Crease. On the Sioux Dissallowed goal, Sheppard's only camera angle he can view is the one above the goal and at that angle you could not see if it was a goal before the net came off. I agree it would be nice if the refs had all the camera angles the fans have on TV. Also, The Sioux's third goal on Saturday night should never have been scored by Prpich. The reason why Harrington was lying on the ice in the third period was because he

was blatently speered by Prpich, right in front of Shepard and a linesman. This type of a penalty is a major and Prpich should have been tossed. Ironically you can say the Sioux got screwed on a no goal and the Gophers got screwed on a goal scored by a player who should not have been on the ice. Yes, Shepard was bad for both teams.

Edited by hockey1

Most Sioux fans are complaining about the Gopher goal that should have been dissallowed and the Sioux goal that should have been allowed. On the Gopher goal Stoa was in the crease but when Did he interfere with Parise?

Maybe you need to read a few posts higher. It appears in a Saturday interview Daddy Shepard indicates that the intent of the new rule was NOT to allow Stoa to do what he did, but that's how the ref on the ice interpreted the goal.

In addition, on Saturday's pregame interview with Hennessey and Matt Smaby, I THOUGHT I heard Matt say that Little Shepards explanation was that Matt had pushed Stoa into the crease, and that's why he allowed the goal. Matt said he had pushed Stoa, but that had happened well prior to the shot, and that the Gophers had been parking in the crease all night, and continued to do so as the game went on. What I understood from that conversation was that LS correctly interpreted the new rule, but allowed the goal because he thought Smaby had forced Stoa into that spot. Bad decision IMO, because I felt the replays showed Stoa standing there for quite some time before the shot comes in past Parise without making an effort to exit.

Either way, it would appear to me that Shepard blew the call.

Actually, on every PP, Stoa set up entirely in the crease, not just one foot. By the rules, that's not necesarily interference, and probably wasn't in this case. Gophs took advantage of the current rule, which will more than likely be changed again.

If he is in the crease too much, it is the job of the Sioux defender to clear some real estate for Parise in front. The big point here is he didn't break the rule, he used it to his advantage. Maybe the Sioux should try the same thing?

The funny part about this is that when Briggs was asked about this ruling after the game, he gave the official explanation for "no goal" and said something like, "That was fine by me."

Usually, a goalie will say something like "It definitely wasn't in" when he's confident that he made the stop, but Briggs didn't do that. He was happy that Shepherd ruled as he did. Even though the replays we saw in the press box didn't show the puck crossing the line, Briggs' answer gave me reason to believe that it did.

Technically, it was correct. But I wholeheartedly agree with Greg Shepherd that the intent of changing the crease rule wasn't to allow players to park with both skates in the crease, which is what Stoa did. There isn't any point in having a crease if that's allowed to happen. The whole idea is to give the goalie an area in which to freely operate. Having a stray skate in the crease when a goal is scored is far different from having someone standing inches from your face during a power play.

Briggs did say very confidently after the game that it wasn't a goal.

Briggs did say very confidently after the game that it wasn't a goal.
He did say that on TV on the FSN broadcast. PCM, I believe, has access to the players where they may tend to be a little more honest with their opinions. I've never heard a goalie admit on TV that he gave up a goal.

He did say that on TV on the FSN broadcast. PCM, I believe, has access to the players where they may tend to be a little more honest with their opinions. I've never heard a goalie admit on TV that he gave up a goal.

Ok, I thought he was refering to the TV interview.

That's not what he said to the media jackals around me. I have it on tape if you want a direct quote.

Did you just say 'media jackals'? If so, that is a blatant reference to a term used by Jesse Ventura, infamous former governor of the state where I reside. I believe this reference should be written up by board administrators and put in your permanent file.

Did you just say 'media jackals'?

Were my lips moving? :0

If so, that is a blatant reference to a term used by Jesse Ventura, infamous former governor of the state where I reside. I believe this reference should be written up by board administrators and put in your permanent file.

This is one thing Jesse got right. And believe me, I know a media jackal when I see one. ;)

I'll buy your tickets from you. PM me if you are serious.

Hey runnin, how was that alumni party, did you go?

I didn't go to the alumni party, too work out from work. I did have a really great time on Friday with you and BigChief and MafiaMan. Another time, definitely.

Difference between the Irmen and Chorney acts? Irmen is a junior and should know better, Chorney's a freshman and still learning. Where's the leadership?

I'm not sure if you're asking "where's the leadership?" in reference to the Irmen or to the UND upperclassmen. If you were referring to Irmen, he definitely set a poor example for his freshmen. If you were referring to the Sioux players, I'm curious about why Chorney thought it would be a good idea. I mean, do the older guys give him the impression that it's okay? Or did he think it would impress them? I'm not sure. I was really excited for Taylor when he scored, and of course he's going to be pretty jacked, too, but copying Irmen had to have a little thought.

I was so excited when we had the opportunity to go 6X4 and I was really let down when we failed to capitalize on the opportunity. The Gopher D made it really difficult to get a good shot in (they must have learned from Wisconsin last weekend) but the Sioux were passing like it was a regular power play and not the difference between overtime and the locker room. It's tough because clearly you don't want to turn over the puck but you don't score unless you shoot, and I was screaming at the TV for them to shoot the puck already! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I'm already looking forward to the hurt they're going to put on BSU.

I never said there are not people out there with unhealthy feelings toward other fanbases. :0

Slap, I've been reading your posts and the Sioux fan responses and feel the need to post one myself. Much as I love my Fighting Sioux and respect my fellow SS members, I don't believe you've posted anything that I consider 'bad form'. BUT, I think it's time to put the mouse away and come back another day. ;)

I'm not sure if you're asking "where's the leadership?" in reference to the Irmen or to the UND upperclassmen. If you were referring to Irmen, he definitely set a poor example for his freshmen. If you were referring to the Sioux players, I'm curious about why Chorney thought it would be a good idea. I mean, do the older guys give him the impression that it's okay? Or did he think it would impress them? I'm not sure. I was really excited for Taylor when he scored, and of course he's going to be pretty jacked, too, but copying Irmen had to have a little thought.

I was so excited when we had the opportunity to go 6X4 and I was really let down when we failed to capitalize on the opportunity. The Gopher D made it really difficult to get a good shot in (they must have learned from Wisconsin last weekend) but the Sioux were passing like it was a regular power play and not the difference between overtime and the locker room. It's tough because clearly you don't want to turn over the puck but you don't score unless you shoot, and I was screaming at the TV for them to shoot the puck already! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I'm already looking forward to the hurt they're going to put on BSU.

I was referring to Irmen when I asked 'Where's the leadership'. I can't believe that the Sioux upperclassmen would have encouraged Chorney's stupid retaliatory jersey popping. I believe he got caught up in the moment and did something he likely regrets (at least I hope he does). I'm sure he got an earful from his teammates and Hak and neither he nor anyother Freshman is going to repeat the act.

I too look forward for a great game against BSU.

Slap, I've been reading your posts and the Sioux fan responses and feel the need to post one myself. Much as I love my Fighting Sioux and respect my fellow SS members, I don't believe you've posted anything that I consider 'bad form'. BUT, I think it's time to put the mouse away and come back another day. ;)

I appreciate that. I certainly didn't mean any harm when I tried to say I disagreed with the claims the refs cost UND this weekend anymore than Minnesota. I certainly never said anything negative about UND as a team (Why would I? I think they'll be a team to be reckoned at the WCHA Final Five and quite likely in the NCAAs) and the only reason I posted this weekend was because they happened to play two against a certain unnamed team I tend to support. :0