SiouxSports.com Forum

What's The Rule?

farce poobah

Late in the Bemidji - UND game, a Bemidji player (#3 Methven) threw the puck from center ice at the Sioux net, where it got past Siembida. But the goal was waved off, (immediately and decisively, I might add) by the AR, because #17 (Murray) was offside.

After watching the replay again, it seems clear that the puck entered the zone while Murray was in the zone. But he appears to touch up (both skates on the blue line) well before the puck gets to the goal crease.

What's the rule? I know a delayed offside is whistled down immediately if the puck gets to the crease. But what about a situation where the player touches up before the puck gets to the goalie?

This is the thing that the Beaver bench and players were arguing and I have posted over on USCHO trying to get a definite answer (but no one seems to know for sure since it probably hasn't ever happened). Here are the two NCAA rules that apply:

1. "The official shall nullify the offsides violation if all attacking players in the attacking zone clear the zone by making skate contact with the blue line."

2. "If the puck ENTERS the defending team's goal during a delayed offside, the goal is disallowed."

Now, according to rule 1, the offsides should have been nullified since all players touched up before the puck ENTERED the net. Now, if it is the NHL, the play is dead since they don't have touch up off sides and a shot on net is considered dead. But I have seen college games where a puck is shot in and handled by the goalie while there is a delayed offside and play continues.

I am curious on what the definite answer is. Over on USCHO, someone stated that it is when the puck crosses the blue line, but then touching up would be useless and like the NHL. Does anyone know for sure?

Millsy