SiouxSports.com Forum

Bradley's NCAA appeal denied

PCM

Yes. The third and final step of the NCAA's appeal process is the Division II President's Committee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All D2 schools that have Native American images should compare notes and try on a united front IMHO.

Sic, You hit the nail on the head! We should all bow our head in honor of the NC$$

the all knowing all seeing.... :silly:

At an ever increasing rate of occurrence and volume, Native Americans have expressed their objection to the use of names, terms, imagery and mascots associated with athletics teams.

What I think is funny is that if they thought the number of objections was bad before, how could they expect it to be alleviated in this ruling? I compare it to an itch, that once you start scratching only gets worse. The biggest problem is that the NCAA totally underestimated the fury of the majority.

Flatland

From the Fort Wayne News-Sentinnal:

[url=http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/12955617.htm]

In the article one part scared me:

"In its decision, the NCAA committee commended Bradley for dropping its American Indian mascot and logos about a decade ago. But it said Bradley could have sent a clear signal of respect by also dropping its nearly 70-year-old nickname."

Who is the NCAA to say what is right and what is wrong? :silly:

it's all going to be about "arbitrary and capricious" and it's ALL going to end up in court.

One arguement should be (considering Florida State) why does 1 tribes' "approval" trump the majority approval of EVERY Seminole in the United States? I know the Florida tribe "approves" but other Seminole tribes do not...did anyone take a vote? :lol:

The "appeals" to the NCAA are just paperwork...they will all be denied but UND has to go through that process to get to court - HOPEFULLY, we're already talking with other schools who've been "denied" to go class-action against the NCAA. My guess is the NCAA will fold but NOT go down without having fought "the good fight" - that way - the NCAA looks good...and that's why they had the 4 year study in the first place. :D (they spent a lot of $$ after all - you can't come with "nothing" after all that :silly: )

So in other words, play by the rules, or don't play at all. This is the key on which the NCAA will stand: on the appeals, and, unfortunately, when it wins in court.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except that the NCAA's own constitution says that non-discrimination policies are the responsibilty of individual members, not the organization.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Another small school gets hosed, who would have guessed? Bradley is getting completely screwed. Since Braves doesn't refer to any tribe, getting tribal approval will do no good and tribal approval seems to be the only thing the NCAA will consider. To paraphrase, "despite all the efforts Bradley University puts towards education, we don't like the name so they are still on the list. Plus Bradley doesn't make us money, so we don't care about them."

:D;);):)