SiouxSports.com Forum

Ralph shirts

sioux_11

The people at REA planned the handing out of the "Thank you Ralph" shirts poorly. I have never been to a game where the promotional item was handed out at tables. Every professional game I have been to they hand you the promo when you show them your ticket.

Also, the tables were filled with selfish people pushing you in and out of the chaos. I have enough people pushing me this time of year at the malls. I don't need it at a hockey game too. They should've said the first 4,000 people to survive the gaunlet get a t-shirt.

I do appreciate the t-shirts though. They were very nice quality and a great way for everyone to remember Ralph Engelstad.

The T-shirt giveaway was chaotic. Don't know why it was set up like that. Didn't have trouble getting to the table but had a difficult time backing out of the crowd. I'm even shorter than Forecheck so, when I turned around with my shirt in my hand, I ran smack into a wall of other people's chests.

I guess there would have been a horrible bottleneck into the lobby if the ticket scanners were passing out the shirts.

Forecheck, by the way, what time does the student section fill up? I buy unsold student tickets for friends who get to the arena at 6:15 or so but still have to go to the upper bowl to find a seat. Too many students spreading their coats over empty chairs for their later-arriving friends. Not a big fan of saving seats; haven't been since junior high fourth period lunch. Can you do anything about that little problem?

Forecheck, by the way, what time does the student section fill up?  I buy unsold student tickets for friends who get to the arena at 6:15 or so but still have to go to the upper bowl to find a seat.  Too many students spreading their coats over empty chairs for their later-arriving friends.  Not a big fan of saving seats;  haven't been since junior high fourth period lunch.  Can you do anything about that little problem?

Can I do anything about people saving seats for friends? I highly doubt it. People get protective of "their" seats. Especially since my friends will have to save my seat for me this Saturday, seeing as how I don't get off of work till 7:00. ;) There better be no cops on the road between Altru and REA!

I think for the most part, the lower bowl section gets filled right away between 5:30 and 5:45. There are a lot of students that line up outside the doors before the games, and like you said, some people save seats for others. I know when Engelstad's family and friends took up rows A-H in the center section on Saturday, a lot of students that were lined up outside before the doors opened, ended up in the upper deck. If your friends really want to sit in the lower bowl, the only thing I can suggest is to get there at 5:30. They would have the advantage of not fighting through hundreds of students to get in the doors. Just as long as they don't sit in "my" seat. :D

Tell them to keep an eye out once the game starts, though. I know there always seems to be an extra seat around us somewhere, because people don't want to get split up from their friends. If you see single seats with coats just thrown on them, more than likely no one is sitting there.

Thanks for the info, Forecheck. My friends drive up from the Cities and repay my ticket-securing efforts with a free meal for me at Red Lobster. Since I work until 4:30, I'd have to give up my steak dinner in order for them to get to the Arena by 5:30 on Friday. They go to Fargo overnight but I guesss we could arrange to have Saturday's dinner at 4 p.m. like the other blue-haired ladies do except that I usually go to the women's games as well and can't get to the restaurant before 4:45.

Hey, it just occurred to me that I could prevail on you to save seats for MY friends, eh? Yep, why solve the problem when you can become part of it?

I saw you, across the Arena, with your Finger sign but couldn't make out what it said. Enlighten me, please.

Well YaneA, I guess you just have to think about where your priorities lie then...your stomach, or hockey. :D I don't think I've ever eaten dinner on a Friday or Saturday night during hockey season till after the hockey games for the last 3 years. Oh to have such luxuries. ;)

The sign went something like this. It said Jeff Finger #8 on top to get his attention, and "How to get out of the stall (Follow the arrow)" underneath it. Below that was a square that is the penalty box with a big red "X" representing Mr. Finger, and a big arrow pointing to the gate. To the right of that were some simple instructions. I can't remember them exactly, but it was something like, 1.) Grasp handle 2.) Apply pressure downward 3.) Pull gate open 4.) Step onto the ice 5.) Repeat as needed.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone in the building understood what it meant, because I was constantly explaining myself. People who didn't ask me probably just thought I had taken a liking to the wolfman himself. :D

Thanks, PCM! Did you see it from your lofty perch? ;)

Tommiejo, the shirts were supposed to be a one time thing, so as far as I know, the only way you could get on is if someone offered theirs to you. You might be SOL, unless REA decides to try to make some money and sell more shirts. BTW, that was my 2nd free shirt in one week from those people. They were giving out free t-shirts from the opening of the arena last week when I bought something in the pro shop.

Well, I tried. I was sitting 3 rows behind the penalty box, so I only held it up as Finger was skating to the box and sat down, and during warmups. I didn't want to obstruct anyone's view of the game, and I wanted to watch it myself. Maybe if we asked really nicely, Finger would come back up to Grand Forks and pose for a picture. ;)