SiouxSports.com Forum

Dowzak to WHL...

crosby_87

No word on this on Kelowna's nor WHL's website on this. Kelowna is evidentally the outfit who is signing Dowzak if indeed that is the case.

Kelowna, by the way, is the WHL champs from last season.

EDIT: I've also been to Kelowna. It's a BEAUTIFUL place. Surrounded by mountains. Great skiing.

In any case, like the Greene signing, I'll believe it when I see a press release.

No word on this on Kelowna's nor WHL's website on this.  Kelowna is evidentally the outfit who is signing Dowzak if indeed that is the case.

In any case, like the Greene signing, I'll believe it when I see a press release.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

USHR has the story.

Does anyone have access to that site? And could they post the article?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a pay site, so I can't post the article. The nutshell is that the article says that Dowzak signed with Kelowna, and will be reporting there for the start of training camp. It goes on to say that Dowzak had "academic issues".

I'm not going to jump on the "His loss" bandwagon, but I do have this question:

I'm not good with numbers, but with Marto coming in next year, would there have been a slot for him even if Smaby left early?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would there be a spot open for a mobile, hulking defenseman who is a potential first round NHL draft pick? Nope, no chance! ;):glare:

it wouldn't matter, they would have made a spot for him..

I'm not going to jump on the "His loss" bandwagon, but I do have this question:

I'm not good with numbers, but with Marto coming in next year, would there have been a slot for him even if Smaby left early?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From Paul Sheehan's great free newsletter, Research on Ice,

"according to ROI sources, Dowzak's academic struggles would have made it difficult for him to pass the NCAA clearing house within the next year, if at all."

USHR made a similar comment in their earlier story on Dowzak.

Maybe it's just as well..

From Paul Sheehan's great free newsletter, Research on Ice,

"according to ROI sources, Dowzak's academic struggles would have made it difficult for him to pass the NCAA clearing house within the next year, if at all."

USHR made a similar comment in their earlier story on Dowzak.

Maybe it's just as well..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd think SSM would have tutors. ;) I don't really have a problem with him going WHL, even though I was looking forward to seeing him in a Stars uni. However I have to wonder, and it's probably not a popular thought, but are schools putting the success of the sports team ahead of academics?

i dont think this is news to anyone but i doubt most big time prospects go to the school of their choice because of academics. just my thought on the situation. take any big time program in any sport, hockey, football or basketball and the goal is to make it to the pros when attending a top notch program as a top notch recruit...in no way am i saying academics are not important to a kids choice, it may be in some cases but if we are Just referring to top prospects then they will end up at north dakota, minnesota, michigan or boston college because of the tradition and how they develop players for the next level...

in dowzaks case, im sure there are a handful of players around the country that have this problem when it comes to academics, the easy alternative is the WHL and im sure he will develop just as he would if he would have came to UND. he is a big time talent and if he wanted he could have recieved help if he chose the college route but he didn't. he would have been a nice recruit for the sioux but now you just move on to the next big time d man recruit thats out there to replace smaby after this coming season (HOPEFULLY)

You'd think SSM would have tutors. ;) I don't really have a problem with him going WHL, even though I was looking forward to seeing him in a Stars uni. However I have to wonder, and it's probably not a popular thought, but are schools putting the success of the sports team ahead of academics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont think this is news to anyone but i doubt most big time prospects go to the school of their choice because of academics. just my thought on the situation. take any big time program in any sport, hockey, football or basketball and the goal is to make it to the pros when attending a top notch program as a top notch recruit...in no way am i saying academics are not important to a kids choice, it may be in some cases but if we are Just referring to top prospects then they will end up at north dakota, minnesota, michigan or boston college because of the tradition and how they develop players for the next level...

in dowzaks case, im sure there are a handful of players around the country that have this problem when it comes to academics, the easy alternative is the WHL and im sure he will develop just as he would if he would have came to UND. he is a big time talent and if he wanted he could have recieved help if he chose the college route but he didn't.  he would have been a nice recruit for the sioux but now you just move on to the next big time d man recruit thats out there to replace smaby after this coming season (HOPEFULLY)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard the gophs have good tutors! ;)