SiouxSports.com Forum

Let the lawsuit begin

If only we had Belfour

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/200...ot-appeal_x.htm

It sounds like Brand wants FSU off the NCAA's back and is almost urging them to porpose a narrow amendment that carves FSU out rather than going after the ruling as a whole.

It sounds like FSU might get out of this, in part, because of their rapid and aggressive response.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The facts between FSU and the other schools are a bit different in that the Florida Seminoles have given their express permission. FSU by virtue of the fact they've already hired lawyers will probably attack the entire policy, especially because I doubt they will may any substantive changes to the way they use their logo, Chief Osceola, etc. UND could probably use this "permission" to a certain point, but it would have to stand on its own merits. I submit that any appealy by UND would probably rely heavily on the Indian-specific programs on campus, as well as the fact it doesn't use a "mascot" like Florida, Illinois, etc. , as well as making an effort to encourage respectful uses for its name/logo.

On a somewhat related note, what idiot thought it was a good idea to use the Sioux name to sell products with the name tied to them at REA? It doesn't really support the respectful use aspects UND is trying to espouse.

It looks like the NCAA might have major egg on its face over the Oklahoma Seminoles deal. Sounds like the NCAA talked to one person and concluded that the Oklahoma Seminoles condemned the nickname as a whole. Or maybe they placed too much emphasis on those "minority reports" submitted to the NCAA by the activitsts.

On a somewhat related note, what idiot thought it was a good idea to use the Sioux name to sell products with the name tied to them at REA?  It doesn't really support the respectful use aspects UND is trying to espouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. There's no need for stuff like H Sioux O or Sioux Dog, etc. It's an unoriginal and cheesy idea (with any nickname) and it just gives ammunition to the other side.

On a somewhat related note, what idiot thought it was a good idea to use the Sioux name to sell products with the name tied to them at REA?  It doesn't really support the respectful use aspects UND is trying to espouse.

There I agree.

And they could stop marketing "H-Sioux-O" and start selling "mni" (pronounced like the first part of that state to the east) or more specifically, "wiwila mni", spring water. Some education, something they should be promoting to stay in accord with Spirit Lake Nation, on the Siouxan language would be a good thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The very first time I toured the completed arena and saw the Sioux name used in that manner, it bothered me. It went too far.