SiouxSports.com Forum

Jonathan Toews Named Team Canada Captain

AZSIOUX

does not look like toews scored today but maybe he added some assists..either way he had a great tourney and this kid is going to be fun to watch!!!

Canada wins gold beating the Czechs 5-3. Scoring isn't up yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Redline Report's Top 10 Forecasted Draft Picks for 2006

NO. PLAYER POS HT/WT S DOB TEAM

1. Phil Kessel C 5-11/180 R 02 OCT 87 U.S. NTDP

2. Michael Frolik LW 6-0/183 L 17 FEB 88 Kladno

3. Erik Johnson D 6-3/206 R 21 MAR 88 U.S. NTDP

4. Peter Mueller C 6-2/200 R 14 APR 88 U.S. NTDP

5. Jonathon Toews C 6-1/185 L 29 APR 88 Shattuck

6. James Sheppard C 6-2/190 L 25 APR 88 Cape Breton

7. Bryan Little C 5-11/188 R 12 NOV 87 Barrie

8. Kyle Okposo RW 6-0/190 R 16 APR 88 Shattuck

9. Mark Mitera D 6-3/197 L 22 OCT 87 U.S. NTDP

10. Tony Lagerstrom C 6-0/181 L 19 JUN 88 Sodertalje

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2138449

The players don't like them either. (about halfway down the story)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked the comment by Todd Bertuzzi about how it took four guys to put the jersey on him. I'm guessing it was made more difficult to put that jersey on while you're busy smashing someone's face on the ice. Seriously, though, those black and red jerseys are among the worst hockey jerseys I have ever seen.

Cannot wait to see this kid in a SIOUX uni.Could we be saying Kessel who by the end of the season?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

McKeen's loves Toews. Here's their scouting report from Canda's U-18 evaluation camp:

"Great two-way talent rarely gives up on a play .. leads by example with committed work ethic in both zones .. uncanny offensive ability .. makes saucer passes in tight quarters and stickhandles marvellously .. generates quality offensive chances every time he crosses centre ice .. electrifying one-on-one moves, but is adept at using his linemates in all situations .. protects the puck well and fights off opposition .. darts in and out of scoring areas and is a threat behind the net .. storms the front of the net and is not afraid to get hit to make a play .. acceleration is a tad choppy but his vision is impeccable .. great hand-eye coordination; knocks down high bouncing pucks and maintain control .. elusive and hard to hit .. confident and competitive."

McKeen's loves Toews. Here's their scouting report from Canda's U-18 evaluation camp:

"Great two-way talent rarely gives up on a play .. leads by example with committed work ethic in both zones .. uncanny offensive ability .. makes saucer passes in tight quarters and stickhandles marvellously .. generates quality offensive chances every time he crosses centre ice .. electrifying one-on-one moves, but is adept at using his linemates in all situations .. protects the puck well and fights off opposition .. darts in and out of scoring areas and is a threat behind the net .. storms the front of the net and is not afraid to get hit to make a play .. acceleration is a tad choppy but his vision is impeccable .. great hand-eye coordination; knocks down high bouncing pucks and maintain control .. elusive and hard to hit .. confident and competitive."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt well be saying Kessel who, as he is is going to have a big impact, however he will be only a one year player, where Toews should stick around for 2 or 3. If Kessel is the top pick I am sure an NHL team is going to want to get him into their system immediately, at least that is my hope.

Found this on the above noted site:

Aug 15, 2005

IVAN HLINKA MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT FINAL RESULTS

For August 14th

Gold Medal Match

Canada 5 Czech 3

7th Place Match

Sweden 4 Switzerland 2

Scoring Leaders

CAN Jonathan Toews 9pts

CAN Zach Hamill 8pts

USA Michael Fourney 8pts

USA Kyle Okposo 7pts

CZE Michal Kazatel 7pts

SVK Julius Sinkovic 6pts

SVK Erik Caladi 5pts

SUI Aurelio Lemm 5pts

USA Mike Borisenok 5pts

RUS Aleksandr Vasyunov 4pts

Final Standings

1. Canada

2. Czech

3. Finland

4. Russia

5. USA

6. Slovakia

7. Sweden

8. Switzerland

Posted at 10:03 am by Panflo

Posted by Vegas @ 08/26/2005 07:44 PM PDT

Jonathan Toews is again the leading scorer in a world class tournament. Hopefully some smart scout will figure out just how good the manitoba 88's are and maybe have a few more of them on the Junior Team next year. White and Macaulay are two other boys that should have been on this team.

Based on the final points, Jonathan had two assists in the final for a total of 5 goals and 4 assists for the tournament. He was the leading scorer in a World Championship tournament AGAIN!!! This should reinforce just how good this kid is. His linemate was Zack Hamill who came second in scoring with 4 goals and 4 assists. Ben Maxwell also had a few points. The total scoring for the line was likely around 20 points and they accounted for 10 of Canada's 23 goals.

My prediction for next year is that whoever plays on Jonathan's right side will have a career year especially if he is a right handed shot.

I also question Peter Mueller or any of the other guys being rated above Jonathan with the exception of Kessel. Jonathan has consistently outscored and outplayed Mueller whenever they have gone head to head in minor hockey tournaments.

Kessel, in my opinion, is the only player who is on the same level as Jonathan. Again it must be noted that Kessel is roughly 6 months older.

nice article, hes very high on toews. he will be another great one to watch...

"My prediction for next year is that whoever plays on Jonathan's right side will have a career year especially if he is a right handed shot."

great, i will wait for the sioux line pairings to be revealed and pick whoever is on Toews right side :D:)