SiouxSports.com Forum

Gretzky to coach the Coyotes

AZSIOUX

we all know winning brings fans in the building but with what the NHL just went through, i think this is a good idea just for the fact that its Gretzky...

Sounds like some good publicitiy to me, good for hockey all around and should be fun to see how the coyotes organization comes around over the next couple of seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even so, I'm still debating how much I care.

He was a great player, but outside of that, he's yet to prove anything off the ice.

Well, he was good at whining and he did see something in some players that no other coach, GM, or scout did.

Well, anyways, good for Phoenix. Hopefully is name won't be the only great thing about his coaching career.

He was a great player, but outside of that, he's yet to prove anything off the ice.

Other than:

1) Evolve into the greatest ambassador the sport has ever seen

2) Brought the sport into the mainstream consciousness of previously untapped markets after his trade to L.A. (this is not done solely with goals and assists)

3) Headed an ownership group that has stabilized a previously shaky Phoenix franchise

4) Along with Mario Lemieux made an 11th-hour attempt to bring the players and owners together to avoid the lockout

5) Served as the architect for Canada's first gold medal Olympic team in half a century

6) Served as the architect of Canadian team that won the 2004 World Cup

7) Has again been selected to serve as Executive Director for Team Canada at the next Olympics

Other than that, he's proved nothing off the ice.

I've got nothing against Gretzky, but aren't you reaching a bit?

1. Ambassador - Not measurable, not an accomplishment, and if the health of the sport is the best measure, then how successful has he been?

2. Opened new markets - A function of his trade during his playing career.

3. Stabilized a shaky PHX franchise - Hardly a unique accomplishment, as it could be done by anyone with money.

4. 11th hour lockout avoidance - Failed miserably.

5. Olympic gold medal architect - OK, that's an accomplishment. But really, shouldn't Canada be the favorite in every World Cup and Olympic hockey competition?

6. World Cup architect - See 5.

7. Selected to be the architect for the next Olympics - How exactly is this an accomplishment? The event has yet to occur, and if it does, see 5. above.

I've got nothing against Gretzky, but aren't you reaching a bit?

1. Ambassador - Not measurable, not an accomplishment, and if the health of the sport is the best measure, then how successful has he been?

3. Stabilized a shaky PHX franchise - Hardly a unique accomplishment, as it could be done by anyone with money.

4. 11th hour lockout avoidance - Failed miserably.

5. Olympic gold medal architect - OK, that's an accomplishment.  But really, shouldn't Canada be the favorite in every World Cup and Olympic hockey competition?

6. World Cup architect - See 5.

7. Selected to be the architect for the next Olympics - How exactly is this an accomplishment?  The event has yet to occur, and if it does, see 5. above.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. This is a publicity stunt. His rep as a player, to the league, will hopefully make him a good coach. This means he'll be great again and people will place said butts in seats. The difference between this publicity stunt and others is that, potentially, Gretzky could very well be a good coach. After all, he's already got GM experience (everyone except the PHX GM truly understands that Wayne is the GM of the Coyotes).

2. - 6. Agreed

7. Would you expect anything less? Gretzky IS Canadian hockey! The PHX publicity will only serve to double Team Canada's publicity in this move.

Team Canada's "publicity?" Are you serious? As I have mentioned before, ad nauseum, Hockey Canada is not in the business of warm, fuzzy publicity. They want to win hockey games. Period. Wayne Gretzky is 1-for-1 in putting together gold medal-winning Olympic teams and 1-for-1 in putting together World Cup champions.

1. Ambassador - Not measurable, not an accomplishment
So how exactly are we defining "accomplishment?" Not measurable? You ask any hockey expert or insider with half a brain who is hockey's greatest ambassador; 99 out of 100 will say Wayne Gretzky.

Yes, a function of his trade during his playing career, but also a result of his OFF-ICE contributions, which is what redwing's original point was. Many players have been traded to larget U.S. markets and created nary a ripple. Gretzky efforts to tirelessly promote the sport south of the border created an explosion in interest never before experienced in several markets. Like I said earlier, this cannot be done solely by winning a scoring title or a playoff round. It takes OFF-ICE commitment, such as talk show circuits, magazine shoots, etc.

Oh? Tell that to New York Rangers fans.

But really, shouldn't Canada be the favorite in every World Cup and Olympic hockey competition?

Maybe. Maybe not. Probably a topic for another discussion. But the bottom line is, Wayne Gretzky the executive delivered something no one else was able to do in 50 years.

7. Selected to be the architect for the next Olympics - How exactly is this an accomplishment?

I admit, I don't follow your logic. Being named head of a successful organization is not an accomplishment? Let me ask you - what is YOUR area of expertise? If you are named to head a presitgious company/firm/organization within your profession, would you not consider that to be an accomplishment?

As far as the publicity stunt theory:

I will be the first to admit that Wayne Gretzky, as much as any modern professional athlete, is nothing if not image-conscious. He is not, however, a publicity seeker. He will not agree to do something in which he will not be successful.

Gretzky is coaching the Phoenix Coyotes because he feels he is the most suited person for the job at this time (he also surrounded himself with an excellent staff). If his presence also happens to result in an increase in ticket sales, what's the problem? As a part-owner of the team, that is his primary function: to make money! You know what else will sell more tickets? More wins.

Wayne Gretzky the head coach is not a publicity stunt. It is a smart, high-reward, low-risk hockey move.

Manute Bol suiting up for a minor league hockey game is a publicity stunt.

I admit, I don't follow your logic. Being named head of a successful organization is not an accomplishment? Let me ask you - what is YOUR area of expertise? If you are named to head a presitgious company/firm/organization within your profession, would you not consider that to be an accomplishment?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point is that being named to a position doesn't mean success necessarily follows. I'm a fan of Gretzky the player, and he seems to be a nice, humble person as well. It just seems like you are reaching a bit on the list; I personally think the Olympic and World Cup wins are his only real off-ice accomplishments.

Since you asked, my area of expertise is pretending, on message boards, to know something.

I personally think the Olympic and World Cup wins are his only real off-ice accomplishments.
Even so, would that not then rebuke this original point (which is what I was trying to do)?

There is a reason the yotes won only 22 games last year and it wasn't because of the coach. When Daymond Klang-kow is one of your top forwards then it really doesn't matter who is coaching.

Phx can bring in Imlach, Bowman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard, or Emelio Estevez and it's not gonna matter one bit.

Their roster sucks.

There is a reason the yotes won only  22 games last year and it wasn't because of the coach.  When Daymond Klang-kow is one of your top forwards then it really doesn't matter who is coaching.

Phx can bring in Imlach, Bowman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard,  or Emelio Estevez and it's not gonna matter one bit.

Their roster sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps not, but it sure would make a great Made for Disney movie! :D