SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey History

dakotadan

The other day some of us were talking about schools that we thought was strange that they didn't have hockey. We ended up talking about a few schools that used to have hockey and have since dropped the program. I have only been following college hockey since about '00. I was just wondering if there is anywhere that would have some detailed history of college hockey as far as old conference memberships, old programs, the history of D-II hockey, etc. I didn't realize how recently SCSU had gone DI. I guess I had just assumed that most of the WCHA schools had been playing together for decades. So... If anyone knows a cool site or two where I could learn more history that would be awesome.

The other day some of us were talking about schools that we thought was strange that they didn't have hockey. We ended up talking about a few schools that used to have hockey and have since dropped the program. I have only been following college hockey since about '00. I was just wondering if there is anywhere that would have some detailed history of college hockey as far as old conference memberships, old programs, the history of D-II hockey, etc. I didn't realize how recently SCSU had gone DI. I guess I had just assumed that most of the WCHA schools had been playing together for decades.  So... If anyone knows a cool site or two where I could learn more history that would be awesome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be interested as well. I do know that the current makeup of the WCHA is different than what it used to be (Northn Michigan and Michigan used to be WCHA members), but it would be interesting to know more about current DI teams that came up from DII or DIII and what their records were as a sub division team.

Was UND ever a DII or DIII hockey team or did they go straight from club to DI?

Definately an interesting link. Does the NCAA website have a history of DII hockey on it somewhere. I looked real quick but didn't see anything but sometimes I'm not always the brightest. I would definately like to learn more about the history of DII hockey and schools that may have dropped DII hockey instead of moving DI but may someday take a closer look at it.

I definately didn't realize how recently Minnesota State had started playing. If MSU got into the WCHA, how come people always say NDSU didn't want to start hockey because they wouldn't be able to get into the WCHA?