SiouxSports.com Forum

exaggeration?

YaneA

It can be said that this is neither the time nor the place for the name change to be brought up, however, this is the real world and more than likely the name change group will make a push.

For a long time this name-change group has advocated that without RE the name would be changed. RE did have the resources to fight the name-game fight. However, I believe that the name-change group will find that without being able to attack RE to buttress their position they will face an even greater challenge to the name change. Every time there was an argument either directly or by innuendo the "specter" of RE was raised (we all know the arguments: politically incorrect parties among other).

Now that name-change group can no longer deflect EVERY argument into the equation:

"RE bought the name" and (+) "RE is a bad man" therefore (=) name must be changed

that group must argue the issue and the facts (facts such as poll results).

Today's GF Herald has yet another "leaked" letter. I'm interested to see what kind of tribute the editorial board at the Herald will publish. Also, the vote on NDSU's resolution is within two weeks, I wonder if this will have any affect.

For you to think that UND won't move forward and change the nickname is senseless on your part...

For you to even bring it up today, of all days, is completely asinine. As has been the case for quite some time, there will continue to be a debate regarding the nickname. Don't for a second assume that the 87% that support the nickname will remain silent and watch the name 'Fighting Sioux' be whimsically removed.

tuggnutt: what you don't seem to understand is that one of the legs on which the name change group stabilized its stance on was the involvement of RE. It was easy for UND Sioux fans to allow RE to "fight the good fight". With the passing of RE there will be people to step forward. To name a few, there are Tom Clifford and Earl Strinden among other "credible" people, about whom there is no "bulletin" board info. So long as Florida State and other larger, Division I schools maintain their name(s), the Sioux name will be affilliated with UND.

Ralph Engelstad was just one among many (87% is the figure just posted) UND alums who favor keeping the nickname. True, he was the richest of the group, and therefore his opinion had a lot of sway, but many, many other people feel the same way he did.

I agree that the majority want the name to remain Sioux, myself included...however, that doesn't necessarily mean that that will be the case. I point out, however, that the most vocal proponent of keeping the name is no longer with us....we've lost one of the "tradition side's" major voices.

All I'm saying is that the alumni that remain alive and support the nickname are not going to just stand by and watch helplessly as the Lucy Gange's of the world tell the incoming American Indian students that they should feel oppressed because of the Fighting Sioux nickname. What is going on is absurd. For nearly 90% of the Sioux people, the name isn't even an issue. The other 10% are activists. Activists that find fault in EVERYTHING. Activists that protest just to protest. Activists that like to read their name in newspapers and other media outlets such as this website. Activists that will simply get bored at some point and move on to something else.

An example, Russel Means running for Tribal Chairman of the Pine Ridge. Last I heard, that race was in a recount process. Looks like Means has moved on to bigger and better things than the Sioux name. For now anyway.

The activists will move on. The supporters of the name will remain because we are loyal. We are connected. And we care.

The untimely death of Ralph Engelstad is not going to change that.

Clayton,

I usually don't post much on this site but I had to respond to your last posting.

AMEN BROTHER!!! You have just summed up the entire role the "activists" have played in this fiasco. Some day they will go away and leave this issue alone. I could not agree with you more. At what point to they stop with these name changes? Do we need to rename the Mississippii River? How about the town of Minneapolis? Or Seattle for that matter? They just won't quit.

Well said Clayton. Well said.