SiouxSports.com Forum

I have a question about that new CanadInns hotel:

TheBisonator

I frequent a website that features information on tall buildings/skyscrapers all over the world, called SkyScraperPage.com. And I was planning to enter some info on that site about that new CanadInns hotel tower that you're building up there. But all I know is that it's 12 stories (which is the minimal definnition of a "skyscraper" according to that site). Does anyone know for example, how many feet tall it will be (maybe more than 125?) and the architectural firm designing it??

If anyone has any info, feel free to pass it along.

What is the law in ND regarding the height of a building?  I thought that no building in the state could be taller then the capitol.  Is this still true?  Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, nothing in the state can be taller than the state capitol, which is 242 feet tall. The tallest in Fargo is the Radisson Hotel, which is 207 feet tall. I know there have been some attempts to get rid of that law in order to encourage more downtown Fargo development.

Can the soils in the Red River Valley hold a building much taller than 200 feet (unless you spend a fortune going down with footings)? And would you want to be on the top floor on a 30 mph wind day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the soil in New Orleans is a lot worse structurally than the soil up here, and they have 600-foot tall buildings down there. Besides, if the economics of the situation demands it, then the developers might not care if a building they want to construct is 300 feet tall or whatever.

The one thing I don't see positive about building tall in ND is that there is so much area that can be developed laterally. If acreage was expensive then I could see building up, but each story you build up drastically increases the price. I would think companies/building owners would rather buy cheaper land and build a cheaper building.

Although the point you bring up about downtown Fargo is a good one. Also, companies would probably want to be in the tallest building in the state as a kind of macho thing.

It's funny, when I was little I always thought the capitol building was sooo big. The building I work in now is more then two times taller and is one of the smaller in the city. I was back in Bismarck last week and laughed thinking that one time I was amazed by it. I still like the building though, it is pretty cool with the park next to it.