SiouxSports.com Forum

Basketball Schedule

bincitysioux

Just wondering if anyone knows when the basketball schedule will be out, or has any idea what it will look like. I figure it must be close since they said scheduling played a factor in moving all of this year's games to the Sioux Center.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Unimpressive schedules including alot of DAC-10 teams.  Disappointing. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. They paid out a lot of $ in guarantees to some pretty good teams last year. Apparently they weren't willing to do so again this year.

Part of the problem is that it just isn't very easy or inexpensive for a team from out of the area to get to Grand Forks. Therefore, teams "need" a good guarantee to travel to ND when there are plenty of other high calibre teams for them to play closer to home. It gets back to geography - UND's location makes it very difficult and expensive to recruit - and find teams to play in GF.

Anybody know the deal with Metro St....is there a return game or did they pay us for a one time shot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think that the odds are that this is a home-and-home. Metro only averages about 725 fans per game, and are not known as an athletic department with deep pockets, so I doubt they could afford to be paying guarantees very often.

Here is the women's schedule. The home non-conference schedule isn't the greatest, although it will be good to have a rematch with Concordia-St. Paul. The Disney tournament will be interesting, as UND will open with Elite 8 team Merrimack, and potentially play Southern Indiana in the semi's.

Here is the women's schedule. The home non-conference schedule isn't the greatest, although it will be good to have a rematch with Concordia-St. Paul. The Disney tournament will be interesting, as UND will open with Elite 8 team Merrimack, and potentially play Southern Indiana in the semi's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anybody know if there are any plans to televise any games from the Betty?

I would think that there would be 2 or 3 games televised on FSSN. Likely similar to last year, during the conference season. I doubt any of these games would be on TV on WDAZ, though, just over the satellite.

Are we in transition :) ? This looks alot like NDSU's schedule from last year. I thought about getting season tickets this year when I heard they were going to play all games in the Sioux Center, but I now have no interest. I ain't driving 90 miles to see Mayville St. and VCSU. ;)

Are we in transition :) ?  This looks alot like NDSU's schedule from last year.  I thought about getting season tickets this year when I heard they were going to play all games in the Sioux Center, but I now have no interest.  I ain't driving 90 miles to see Mayville St. and VCSU. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I noted above, UND decided that they could not pay the guarantees that they handed out last year and teams aren't interested in traveling up here on their own - we really are not "on the way" for teams to stop in and play us.

I agree with your concern and but understand our predicament (which could be much more of a problem if we were DI). I plan to make my concern known to the new AD in a very positive manner. I suggest others do the same.

In case anyone thinks otherwise, Coach Glas and his staff are not pleased with this home schedule, either.

A few things to keep in mind here;

1) Getting those teams from the RMAC to come up here last year was a miracle, and the same can be said for this year. Those schools WILL NOT travel. Having them in the region really hurts because of their unwillingness to travel. Reports indicate that visiting schools really take it up the rear from the refs when they travel to RAC schools also.

2) I do not mind seeing the few DAC-10 teams on the schedule early. They should be easy wins for a team that will be heavy in newcomers that will likely see heavy court time including Koenig, Harkins, Phillips, Gutter, Miller, and most likely Blackwell. There are benefits to them as long as we don't see a schedule full of them like..........

3) USD. See, it could be a lot worse. In basketball every single year their non-conference schedule is made up of a 1/3 of the DAC-10 and half of the GPAC. Yet they always seem to be near the top of D2 in attendence. Then their football goes and does nearly the same thing. I think it has a lot to do with us being a bit spoiled as fans.

You might be correct. However, the women's team should be a powerhouse. They will bring a lot of people into the Betty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that the women alone should be a big draw, and now that the men will likely be better than was perhaps expected immediately after this past season, I wouldn't expect the quality of the team in and of itself to cause any sort of attendance dropoff.

As for whether the non-conference schedule will likely cause a drop in attendance, I don't really expect that it will. The reason is that non-conference games don't really draw all that well regardless of how good the competition is. Take last year as an example. Probably the biggest name non-conference opponent we've had in many years was Nebraska-Kearney (even though they were a bit down last year by their standards). That game drew 2515. UND's season average for home games was 2791. The hard-core fans will go to games pretty much regardless of who the opponent is. The more casual fans will tend to go to conference games. And it's the conference game attendance which essentially makes or breaks the season in terms of ticket sales.

There is another variable which may affect attendance next year. Obviously no more games will be in the Ralph, and those games tended to have larger reported attendance. Whether that was due to more people actually being there, or perhaps the use of a different method of counting, I don't know. In any event, with the relatively small capacity of the Betty, there probably won't be any more of those 4000 to 5000 crowds to offset some of the smaller crowds, and that may very well make a difference in the overall average.